Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Italy

My daughter and I will be visiting Florence and Rome in the next few weeks. We will be taking tours in both cities and eating out quite a bit. Will our tour guides accept US dollars for tips or do we need to get euros? Do you recommend having euros on hand and if so where is the best place to get them there?

Posted by
6453 posts

Will our tour guides accept US dollars for tips

Would a tour guide in the US accept euros for tips?

Posted by
13 posts

Okay so that was a dumb question wise guy. Anything helpful to add as far as where we can get Euros?

Posted by
7575 posts

Get euros, just take your ATM/Debit card and withdraw them from an ATM just like you do cash in the US.

There are some ins and outs, read through this... https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/cash-tips

You will not need much cash, your credit card can be used for contactless pay, or your phone with Apple/Google Pay.

For restaurants, there is no pressing need to tip. Touristy places might push for, or expect a tip from Americans, but there is no need to do so. Those that insist on leaving a tip only leave a couple euro, nowhere near the 20%+ you might in the US.

Others can say what they might have tipped a guide.

Posted by
19 posts

Check your local bank. Surprisingly my local bank will obtain me Euro. Wife said let me ask them. I was thinking "No way".

But yeah, local bank will acquire paper euros for me (no coins). Avoiding the ATM nightmares I see altogether.

Posted by
4890 posts

Many people do wait until arrival in Europe to get Euros. We feel more comfortable with some Euros in hand when we land. Trying to find an ATM, hoping it works (they do malfunction), while jet lagged, and on new ground is a hassle. You can get 100 or so Euros at your bank or at AAA. It will cost a little bit more, but it's worth it, in our opinion, to avoid the hassle upon arrival. In any event, be sure to check with your bank(s) and credit card people to see if you need to put a travel alert in place. Some require it, and some don't. You don't want to have them see a foreign transaction, think it's fraud, and lock down the account.

Posted by
6608 posts

Tips are not expected. As Paul stated, for exceptional service you can give a couple Euros, but generally you don’t leave tips. Because so many from the U.S. tip like they do in the states, employees in many establishments in major tourist destinations have begun expecting them. Don’t be pressured into a trip.

I use an atm to get Euros at the end of one trip so I have them for the next trip. Most airports with international flights will have a currency exchange and many malls have them too. You can order foreign currency though most major banks. Ordering through a bank could take a few days for the currency to arrive, so don’t wait until the last minute to order it. Also, if ordering from a bank, specify smaller bills so you don’t get 50 and 100 Euro notes.

Posted by
15236 posts

Tips are not expected (although as mentioned, now in some places they've been spoiled by American tourists so if they know you are American they will hope to get some from you).

Be aware that it is not possible to leave a tip on the credit card statement like we do in America (there is not line for gratuity to add in the credit card slip). Therefore if you feel that, as an American, you must leave something as a tip, it will have to be hard cash left on the table, because adding it to the card won't be possible. Make sure you leave it on the table, because if you pay the owner at the cash register on your way out (like all Italians do), the owner will keep the tip too and give nothing to the server.

Posted by
272 posts

I recommend having some euros on hand. I took out €200 for my one-week stay in Rome. For restaurants or purchases at shops or pharmacies I used my debit card. My hotel and entry tickets to the Colosseum and Vatican Museums were already pre-paid. I used half of that for my taxis to and from Fiumicino Airport so basically I had €100 in cash just in case my card acted up. Yeah, that happens.

Posted by
3050 posts

if you are not sure where to get euros, you must not be experienced, and should immediately bone up on travel in Europe.

1) Get euros from a BANK-RELATED BANKOMAT - airport is fine. We use a Schwab card - no fee for withdrawal. Do not get Euros in the US from a bank - you will pay a high fee in the exchange rate.
2) Tipping for meals is not done in Italy or is for very little. Do not tip 15-20% like in the US. This is ruining Italy.
3) For the tour, I would tip only a little - 5% or so.

The US is a tip culture. Italy is not a tip culture.

Posted by
4164 posts

if you are not sure where to get euros, you must not be experienced, and should immediately bone up on travel in Europe.

This. I am not meaning to be unhelpful - and, while there are dumb questions, yours are not - for a first time traveler. You are thinking in the right directions.

But if you are asking these very basic questions and you leave in a few weeks, I second Paul in suggesting a deep fast dive into either a good guidebook that addresses basics (Rick’s does) or some homework reading through the Italy forum here. There is a ton of useful information. You can skate by without knowing more, but your trip will be more meaningful and easier the more basics you know ahead of time. Even if you are on a guided group tour the whole time.

Posted by
4436 posts

Never travel without some local cash in your pocket, not anywhere in the world.

I think tipping is pretty personal, but as noted once a server gloms onto the fact that you're American (and yes they will know right away) there will be the expectation of a tip. This is true everywhere (happened to me in Japan of all places).

Posted by
3050 posts

Here are Rick Steves resources:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light

You need to quickly do 2-3 things:

1) Devise a day-to-day plan for your trip
2) Make reservations - at this time of year, places to stay are likely still available
3) Decide on days of travel and consider getting tickets - you might save money

Posted by
13 posts

I have done my research, have Ricks Italy guide book, made hotel and all my tour reservations (all well in advance) and am ready to go next week. After the above guidance I have purchased some Euros from AAA and gotten their credit card which does not charge the transfer fee that other cards charge. So I think I am in good shape. Thanks for all your help Forum Folks!

Posted by
3050 posts

Now all you have to do is have fun. We were in Italy in 2022. It was really great. Florence is wonderful. I recommend Restaurant Zeb in the Ultraarno. Very small, so reservations are helpful. Front of house is an interesting guy to watch - simply tell him to pick the wines for you.

My wife and I sometimes went to mass to get into a cathedral without the lines or tickets. It's an interesting cultural experience - we are both atheists, but this is Italian history.

Posted by
7331 posts

Have a great time on your trip! If you are planning to take any trains or buses, read up on how to validate your tickets. You don’t want to spend your money on paying those large fines.

Posted by
69 posts

I always wait until I'm in Europe to get Euros. That said, the exchange rate I accidentally "accepted" at the Rome airport baggage claim ATM was insane now that I look at my statement (it was a slow machine and a double tap turned into an accept.) I used an ATM in the city for normal rates. So be careful what you click on as you're getting money out.