Please sign in to post.

Tipping

I know that tipping is a much more optional thing in some of Europe and typically would be the left over change to a Euro or two on a bill. Does the same apply to drivers for car services? My hotel has arranged a sedan to pick us up at FCO and I was wondering the tipping protocol with the driver. Is it the same as in a restaurant and unnecessary?

Posted by
19778 posts

I know that tipping is a much more optional thing in most of Europe
and typically would be the left over change to a Euro or two on a
bill.

Just so others in the future don't quote you, they should check every country's cultural requirements if they want to get it correct. There are quite a few European countries where tipping is the norm.

Posted by
8115 posts

In Italy and much of Europe, the service is included in the bill, usually identified on the bill separately. Therefore, only a small amount is expected from you. IF in doubt, ask if service is included.

Posted by
16124 posts

in Italy, a taxi driver doesn't expect a tip.

A private driver, if you enjoyed the ride, might appreciate a tip of a couple of Euros but not more.

Why not check with your hotel. They will tell you.

Posted by
7070 posts

As stated, it isn’t necessary. If the fee is an odd figure, e.g., 37€, you could just round it up to 40€ and tell the driver to keep the change. That is, if you’re happy with the service.