Please sign in to post.

tickets

My wife and I will be traveling mainly in Italy and a bit in Switzerland in late March. We will start in Zurich, then head through Milan to Venice, then to Perugia, onto Florence, then to Cinque Terre, and ending in Milan. I was wondering if I should buy point to point tickets and should I purchase before leaving the US or is it safe to buy the day of travel? What would be my best option? I plan to have my hotels/BB reserved ahead of time, so we will be on somewhat of a schedule. I was wondering if I buy tickets ahead of time, then is it more expensive than buying at the stations? I was told if I book the ticket ahead of time, then I would have to again pay for the seat charge once I get to the station.
Thanks, Justin

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. This helps alot with our planning.

Posted by
1449 posts

In Italy just buy them at the station. Trains in Europe run MUCH more often than US trains or flights between cities so there is little worry of not getting to your destination. On the Venice to Perugia route, for example, there are 5 trains between about 8am and noon. As for buying in advance, your US credit card won't work on the trenitalia site, and many travelers report that resellers only offer a limited selection of the trains between points. In the larger cities you can save time and just use the kiosk instead of waiting in line for an agent; kiosks have an english menu available. If you buy a day ahead rather than day of travel you may be able to get the amica fare with 20% discount. Lastly, buying as you travel preserves some flexibility; if you want to spend another day in a place you can take a late afternoon or evening train out.

A few suggestions: first, as you plan your trip jot down train times from the trenitalia site so you know what your options are for departure. In Perugia be sure to give yourself enough time to take the bus down the hill to the station.

Posted by
2053 posts

Mike's advice is excellent. We were novice train travelers in Italy in September and it's easy and convenient. The kiosks especially are very easy to use and take credit cards. We often bought our outgoing tickets when we arrived in a city so we were good to go upon departure. Just don't forget to validate your ticket before boarding; some tickets with reservations may not require it but I never really knew for sure and always punched in anyway. Have a great time.

Posted by
32318 posts

Justin,

As the previous post mentioned, it's easy to buy P-P tickets (which include seat reservations if required) when in Europe. I usually purchase my tickets for the outgoing journey when I arrive in a particular city. I'm not sure how busy it will be for rail travel in March (not sure when the Easter holiday is this year, but might be an idea to check).

Use the bahn.de website to research your rail trips, and get some idea on which train would be most suitable for each leg of your journey.

As the previous post, be sure to validate in the yellow machines!

Happy travels!