Please sign in to post.

Ticket prices for Trenitalia regional trains

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether to book a train ticket in advance or not. I am almost certain that I will plan to take this particular train but I will prefer to have flexibility to change my plan, catch an earlier or later train may be. The train connection I am looking at has all regional trains and I noticed on the website that the ticket price does not change whether I book it months in advance or just one day prior. My question is - if I directly go to the station and buy the tickets on the spot (few minutes before the train departure), will I be able to get the same connection at the same price? Do they get sold out?

If it helps - I am looking at Pisa Central - Riomaggiore connection for 10th May.

Thanks!

Posted by
4152 posts

Regional trains never sell out and the price doesn't change. Just buy them at the station. You can get on the next train going to your destination. You're not guaranteed a seat but you can get on the train.

Donna

Posted by
23318 posts

Never purchase Regionale On-line as they come pre-validated with other restrictions. Regionale train NEVER sell out. Like a bus on rail. If you cannot find a seat, you stand till one is available. There is never any discount on Regionale tickets - too cheap already.

Posted by
32219 posts

There are no price breaks on Regionale tickets, so there's no reason to buy these in advance. As previously mentioned, these never sell out so you can easily buy a ticket at a Kiosk a few minutes before the train leaves. However I tend to buy them the day before travel so I don't have to deal with queues at the ticket Kiosks when I'm hauling luggage.

One VERY important point though - you MUST validate locally purchased Regionale tickets prior to boarding the train on the day of travel, or you'll risk hefty fines which will be collected on the spot!

One other point to mention is that the trip from Pisa Centrale to Riomaggiore usually involves a change at La Spezia Centrale. Also the first segment of that trip may be via InterCity or Freccia train, and those trains have compulsory seat reservations. Don't be caught without valid reservations for the train you're riding on or again, fined on the spot! The reservations will be provided with the tickets you buy.