Please sign in to post.

Thoughts on Itinerary - Rome and Cinque Terre

Hello! I'm traveling to Italy in July 2018 for 9 nights with my parents (in their 60's) and my sister (we are both in our 30's). I've been telling my parents for years how much they would love Italy and we are finally going! I was in Italy back in 2006 (I did Rome-Florence-Venice), so I have some sense of the place. We don't want to feel like we are rushing around or be constantly schlepping luggage from place to place. Our top priorities are time in Rome and actually relaxing/enjoying the trip. I'm planning for Rome to be our home base, plus a trip to Cinque Terre and a day trip to Florence. We all love history and beautiful views - we are not as much into art but would enjoy seeing some highlights.

We are flying in and out of Rome - tickets already purchased. Hotels booked but still flexible. I wanted thoughts on this itinerary - does it seem enjoyable/sensible? Any suggestions regarding transit or which activities to do on which day?

Day 1 (Friday) - Arrive Rome 9 am, explore Rome/settle in (sleep Rome)

Day 2 (Sat) - Colosseum/Forum area in morning, afternoon open (sleep Rome)

Day 3 (Sun) - Take early morning Freccia train to La Spezia, then regional train to Vernazza - (sleep Vernazza)

Day 4 (Mon) - explore CT (sleep Vernazza)

Day 5 (Tues) - enjoy Vernazza in early morning, leave midday on train back to Rome (sleep Rome)

Day 6 (Wed) - open day in Rome (sleep Rome)

Day 7 (Thurs) - Day trip to Florence (David, Duomo, explore city) (sleep Rome)

Day 8 (Fri) - Vatican/St. Peter's in early am, afternoon open (sleep Rome)

Day 9 (Sat) - open day in Rome, or possible day trip to Orvieto or somewhere else if we want to (sleep Rome)

Day 10 (Sun) - depart Rome on 11 am flight

We are staying in the same hotel in Rome (near Termini) on the front and back ends, so I'm hoping we can leave our larger suitcases there for 2 nights and travel light to CT with just backpacks. Is this commonly done at larger hotels? It says luggage storage but I'm not sure whether that means overnight or just while awaiting check-in. I will probably call hotel directly to ask but am curious as a general matter. Also - the reason we have planned to be in CT Sun-Tues is because we realized many things are closed in Rome and Florence on Sun/Mon.

Any pointers? Mainly I want feedback on whether this itinerary will feel too rushed or hectic because, even though we are only staying in two main places, we would be doing some sort of traveling just about every other day.

Thanks!

Posted by
1540 posts

Looks good to me.....
While you are in the Forum area - go to the top of the Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II - across the street from the the Forum . Also known as the wedding cake building. Take the glass elevator to the top and you have a great 360 degree view of Rome. You can stay up there as long as you like - the views are amazing. Nice way to orient yourselves to where things are located around Rome - in relation to the Forum. Happy Travels
PS: here is a link and don't forget your camera - great photo ops...
Vittorio Emanuele Monument

Posted by
11180 posts

Rome- Vernazza-Florence-Rome.

After you leave Vernazza, stay the night in Florence, rather than going back to Rome and then make a day trip from Rome back to Florence.

For your last Saturday, consider a day trip to Ostia Antica vs Orvieto. Less travel and a truly fascinating enjoyable and low key activity.

Posted by
15810 posts

After you leave Vernazza, stay the night in Florence, rather than
going back to Rome and then make a day trip from Rome back to
Florence.

That's is what I'd do too, and spend 2 nights in Florence. It feels more linear and less hectic to me than making two separate northernly trips involving backtracking (Rome>Vernazza> Rome, and Rome> Florence>Rome) versus just one (Rome>Vernazza>Florence> Rome). You'll also cut at least one train trip this way, and there's plenty in Florence to fill one full day +part of another. We've spent much more than that without running out of things to do, although it depends on your interests.

Day 5 (Tues) - enjoy Vernazza in early morning, leave midday on train to Florence (sleep Florence)
Day 6 (Wed) - Florence (sleep Florence)
Day 7 (Thurs) - morning train to Rome/open day (sleep Rome)

Posted by
7667 posts

Sorry, but day trips from Rome to CT and Florence waste so much time on travel.

Rome deserves 5 days and Florence 3-4 days. I suggest staying in those cities.

The Hotel Balesteri in Florence has a great location on the Arno and is a very nice four star.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions! I have been debating whether there was a more efficient way to work in Florence, so I will consider going there on the return from Cinque Terre. We don't want to cut out Cinque Terre altogether though as that is a new destination for me that the whole family is excited about and we are prioritizing that over Florence. I'm still tempted to stick with Florence as a day trip given that the high-speed train is only 3 hrs round trip, but I understand that overall that would be adding 3-4 hours on the train and would be backtracking geographically.

Any thoughts on whether hotels would generally let you leave luggage for 48 hours between stays at that same hotel?

Thanks for the expert advice everyone, and thanks for the Vittorio Emanuele tip, Frances, we will have to do that. Much appreciated!

Posted by
7175 posts

I would include a stay in Florence, heading there directly on the afternoon of your arrival. This opens up more possibilities and would seem a more efficient use of your time.

Day 1 (Friday) - arrive Rome 9 am, lunch, then Freccia train to Florence - 3 nights
Day 2 (Sat) - Florence (David, Duomo, explore city)
Day 3 (Sun) - day to Siena, or Pisa, or Lucca
Day 4 (Mon) - train to La Spezia, then regional train to Vernazza - 2 nights
Day 5 (Tues) - explore CT
Day 6 (Wed) - enjoy Vernazza in early morning, leave midday on train back to Rome - 4 nights
Day 7 (Thurs) - Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps
Day 8 (Fri) - Vatican, St. Peter's, Piazza Navona, Pantheon
Day 9 (Sat) - open day in Rome, or possible day trip to Orvieto or somewhere else
Day 10 (Sun) - depart Rome on 11 am flight

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks all - excellent suggestions all around. We will consider heading straight to Florence upon arrival or staying there on the way back from CT to Rome.