Please sign in to post.

Third Palio for 2018 on Oct 20

Hello fellow travelers! I came upon this news on another travel forum and thought I’d share this here for those who might be like us, in that we are already planning to be in the area on Oct 20 and want to include it in their plans. There hasn’t been much news yet online. The only one I can find is this:

https://www.jacopodellatorre.com/palio-di-siena-news/extraordinary-palio-october-2018/

At first my husband and I were excited on having this opportunity to witness this unique event. But we are now asking ourselves if this is the best way to experience Siena for the first time? We will be staying outside of Montepulciano from Oct 19-24 and plan on visiting Siena on a day trip. We wanted to visit Siena’s attractions and soak in Il Campo’s atmosphere that everyone talks about. I realize Siena will be transformed for the Palio so the experience will be completely different. On the other hand, is the Palio too unique an experience to pass up? I would be grateful for any insight you can share. Thank you!

Posted by
16 posts

The palio is truly a unique experience and it does fill the campo. now the good news, it clears out pretty quickly after the event and the bars/cafes reclaim the area. You'll also get the great fun of being around the winners (follow them to their neighborhood!). The main attractions (other than the campo) will not be affected by the race. Be aware that the campo fills up early and you can't leave (no potty breaks) so you might want to find another way (pay for a bleacher or balcony seat) to watch the race. Hey, where else are you going to see something like this?????

Posted by
11131 posts

This will make your day trip even more fabulous! We took our whole family and it ranks way up high in family memories. Buy scarves and wear them. Root for your favorite neighborhood’s horse.

Posted by
21 posts

We’re going for it! Already in communication with a company that offers grandstand and balcony options. Thanks you both for your encouragement!

Posted by
19 posts

You'll be SO glad you decided to go. I saw a Palio a few years ago and it is an extreme understatement to say that it was a unique, thrilling, unforgettable experience. We are flying there just for this October event because of three things that make this Palio different and special:

• A third Palio is rare, a Palio in October even rarer (not done in hundreds of years).
  • Siena is very hot and crowded during the two summer Palios. October will be much more reasonable weather (as long as it doesn't rain!), and I'm guessing it should be less crowded.
  • My first Palio was expensive because of summer high-season tourist rates and summer airfares. I wasn't sure I could afford it again. But being able to go in October...this is saving us a huge amount of money, and I am so glad the Palio won't have to be just once-in-a-lifetime for me.

In addition to the main event of the historical parade and race, the day of the Palio will involve a test race at 10 a.m., a colorful procession to the Duomo (gotta find out when that is), and other random costumed performances going past on the streets all the time. So be sure to be out and about all day, it is about so much more than that 90-second race. It will be amazing.

One more tip I just remembered: An excellent and riveting documentary called "Palio" was released in 2015; you can stream it from Prime Video and Vimeo. I highly recommend watching it to help get a sense of the centuries-old cultural background and the social complexities of the race (there are some serious shenanigans going on behind the scenes).

For those of you thinking about going, the cheap rooms started going fast after the Palio Straordinario was announced, so if you want to go, get on it.

Posted by
107 posts

We had planned to go to Siena that day but since finding out about the race we might not go. We are staying in Florence and would require the bus transportation. Does anyone know if there will be extra buses that day from Florence?

Posted by
16 posts

Remember that there is more to the Palio than the race. For several days in advance the different bands, flag throwers and neighborhoods take over the city. The horses are brought in for the riders to try out and each time the riders wear more and more of their medieval costumes. It's great fun - spread over several days and not just the 2 minutes of the race! And you don't need a reserved seat to enjoy it. The flag throwers are my favorite - listen for the drums, a sure sign they are practicing. You got me thinking about changing my schedule - just may have to be in Siena in June/July again this year!

Posted by
19 posts

If you end up in Siena in the three days before the Palio, the time trials mentioned above (called the "prova") are an excellent alternative to the actual day of the big race. Because these test races are considerably less crowded than the real thing, it's much easier to get up to the infield rail for a clear view of the horses and jockeys. That often makes up for the lack of intensity compared to the final race, since the jockeys are only trying to get to know their assigned horses without injuring either. They're held twice a day in the morning and late afternoon. The times I've found are 10 am and 5 pm, but that could change.

There's still plenty of costumes and ritual involved even then. A random street encounter with knights in armor is a real possibility.