Please sign in to post.

the vatican

Want to see as much as I can of Vatican and Rome in general. My schedule so far: Tuesday: Arrive from states in Rome at 8:00 AM. Perhaps to car tour of coliseum etc in afternoon. Wednesday: open Thursday: Scavi tour 1:00 PM Friday: open Saturday: depart by car or train to outskirts of Florence suggestions??

Posted by
15269 posts

Car tour? I hope you don't plan to have a car while in Rome, but rather rent at the end of the Rome stay. Tue: It's a matter of preference, but the first day (half day) of arrival I would devote to the Centro Storico (Piazza di Spagna, Pantheon, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza Navona etc.) because touring the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine ruins after an overnight flight is not going to be pleasant (especially on a sunny hot day). At least in the centro storico there are lots of bars and caffes where you can stop for a rest while licking a gelato. Wed: Vatican City (museum, basilica of St. Peter etc.). I chose Wed for the Vatican in case you want to assist to the Pope's audience (every Wed.). You can spend all day at the Vatican if you wish. Add Castel St'Angelo, since it's near. Thu: I presume that by Scavi you mean the Forum. If you mean Pompeii, that's at least 2 hours away. In this area visit Forum, Colosseum, Arc of Constantine, Palatine villa, maybe Caracalla and Circus Maximus all at once (they are all next to each other). This is going to be a tiring day walking on lots of rocks. Fri: You could visit the items in the Centro Storico you couldn't visit the first day. Maybe Villa Borghese. Evening in Trastevere could be nice.

Posted by
1994 posts

Last trip, I booked a walking tour on the afternoon (morning arrival; and I don't sleep on planes). I found that was a great way for me to keep going through the day, yet have someone else handle the logistics. Context Rome does great very small group walking tours. You might want to check their website for offerings. The best time to experience St Peter's without the zoo effect is when it first opens in the morning or very late in the day. Depending on the time of year and weather, the effect of the sunlight in late afternoon can be stunning. I'd recommend taking the elevator to the roof if the weather is good; beautiful views over Rome, as well as access to the walkway at the base of the dome for a different view inside the basilica. If you want to climb the dome, you can continue up the stairs from that point. If you enjoy art, the Vatican museums can easily occupy at least one day. The Borghese is a wonderful collection in a historic house. You must make reservations and arrive early to collect your ticket; a group is admitted every 2 hours and you can't be late. Suggest touring the collection in reverse: start on 2nd floor (paintings) and then view the sculpture on the 1st floor as other folks move on upstairs... much less crowded and more peace in which to consider the art. Orvieto is a lovely day trip, about 1 hour by train from Rome. Beautiful cathedral and Signorelli frescos. Interesting town to explore. Lovely views. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
11613 posts

If you plan to spend a large part of the day at the Vatican, do not eat at the cafeteria in the museums; there is a nice cafe in the museum courtyard. The Galleria Borghese is wonderful and afterward you can walk through the park to the Pincio (follow signs) for great. Jews of Rome,then take the footpath down to Piazz del Popolo.

Posted by
18 posts

correction: Arrive Rome on Wednesday AM. Depart by car on Sunday to Assisi. No car in Rome