Please sign in to post.

The Dolomites

I'm in Garmisch and trying to decide whether to go south to Italy or to Switzerland for the best of the alps. Suggestions? I have a week.

Posted by
16254 posts

Check the weather forecasts---south ( Dolomites) is usually better this time of year. Last year we were in Garmisch around Sept. 20 and had beautiful weather. We went from there to the Dolomites and had mostly good days. The Swiss Alps were cold and rainy, according to weather reports.

Posted by
53 posts

You are asking if we prefer apples or oranges. The Swiss Alps are high glaciated mountains while the Dolomites are rocky islands set amid forested areas. The latter are much more accessible, especially to the casual or less equipped walker. And, yes, the weather
in the Dolomites is often better than the Swiss Alps, except maybe this year. :-( Hard to go wrong with either but the Swiss Alps are closer! But the food is better in Italy! ;-)

Posted by
2906 posts

Hi,

It is comparing apples to oranges. Both provide a very different experience and very different scenery altogether. Me, I'd head to the Dolomites, about 2:30 away from Garmisch. We've been in late September and a few times in October and have always had pretty good weather.

Paul

Posted by
2455 posts

I would recommend blood oranges and Fuji apples. Or Golden Delicious apples, as long as they are crisp with some reddish color, not at all mushy or on the green side. sorry. (:->)))