Please sign in to post.

"The Best of Italy" or "Italy 2019": Which Rick Steves book do you prefer?

I am wondering which book to buy "The Best of Italy-2019" or "Rick Steves' Italy 2019" they sound about the same and I don't have the money to buy duplications (I'm saving to go to Europe in July 2020). Also, does anyone know if there is a 2020 Italy or Germany coming out?

Posted by
6288 posts

Haha, both. And there are also guides that are more specific, for example, there is one for Florence/Tuscany that provides more Florence info than the Italy book. I would check out any and all books from the library and read and then pick the one that meets your needs.

Posted by
3112 posts

The Best of Italy book has fewer hotel and restaurant recommendations than the Italy book. That's a big difference I don't like.

If you go to Amazon and type "Rick Steves Guidebooks 2020" into the search box, it will give you a list of 2020 guidebooks that are expected to be available soon. It looks like Germany 2020 could be available next week but nothing yet on Italy 2020.

Posted by
27706 posts

If you prioritize more-current information over color photos (as I would), buy "Italy".