Please sign in to post.

The 2012 brunellos

This release is now. It was a 5 star year. Wineries like BOSCO have run out. My favorite is Santa Giulia but they are running out of the 2012 and allow only 6 bottles per family. GREAT visit there again. Love the family and staff. Also had a wonderful visit with Elisa at Tornesi We love the small family wineries and the intimacy with the owner family. They were hard at work as this is an early harvest due to hot 2017.

Posted by
8293 posts

Love Brunello. Discovered it by accident in Florence many years ago. My husband nipped in to a little wine shop for a bottle of any kind of wine, and later with one sip we knew it was very special. Just for fun the other day we priced the Brunellos in our local (government) wine outlet. Prices ranged from $48 to $140. Trop cher for us. I mean troppo caro.

Posted by
7 posts

Agreed but great value. Lots of really good brunellos for less than 50€ I love Brunellos because it is not a blend. They age wonderfully. At last count there were 208 wineries in Montalcino. I hope you can do some homework and find good values. I think Canada has high taxes and restrictions. Just come to Tuscany 👍😅🍷🍷

Posted by
8293 posts

Quebec in Canada does have high taxes on booze ( the sin tax, as we call it) but not many restrictions, whatever you mean by restrictions. I noted 12 or more labels Brunello in our local SAQ (Societe d'alcool du Quebec).

Posted by
791 posts

Brunello is my absolute favorite wine in the world. I have had some sub-par Barolos, Chiantis, Barbarescos, Amarones, etc. but I have never once had a Brunello that was less than excellent. I once had a 1997 Poggio d'Oro Classico Riserva in my collection that I opened a few years ago, wow was it something.

Norma, if you like Brunello but are scared away by the price tag, try the Rosso di Montalcino. It's sort of the 'generic' Brunello, made with the same grapes but not aged as long so cost is a fraction of Brunello but taste is still amazing.

Posted by
8293 posts

Thank you, Rick! I will see if the SAQ has it.

Edit: Just checked on line and the SAQ has 11 different Rosso de Montalcino labels, ranging in price from $20 to $35. Will get a bottle today!