Please sign in to post.

THANK YOU ! ! !

A big THANK YOU to all of the members who answered our questions and offered their experienced opinions. We recently spent nearly two wonderful weeks in Northern Italy and had a fantastic time.

We flew into Milan and immediately took the Milano Express to Milano Porta Garibaldi so we could catch the high speed train to Florence. Thanks to suggestions from forum members we were able to get a highly discounted advance rate of €10 for the Italotreno “Extra Large” seats.

Four wonderful days were spent in Florence. We purchased the Firenze card and thought it very worthwhile both in the number of museums we visited and the time spent not waiting in ANY lines.

One morning we got up early and did a half day in Pisa. Just so we could say we were there!

Then we took the Frecciargento train from Florence to Venice and were able to take advantage of a buy one get one free ticket on a Saturday.

Venice was fantastic. What a unique city! We walked everywhere and totally enjoyed our “non-agenda” visit which was so different than our running around in Florence.

Finally we returned to Milan again by high speed train. (Our plane ticket was round trip from JFK to Milan – a special price from Emirates airline for $799 round-trip for two people!)

We used Milan as a base to spend one full day at Lake Como where we purchased an all day ferry pass and toured many of the scenic villages.

The next day we took the train to Lake Lugano, Switzerland for the day and enjoyed the shopping and walking along the lake.

In each of the cities we rented an apartment from VRBO.com and were very pleased with how that worked out. It was nice to wake up and make some coffee and have breakfast at “home” before heading out for the day.

We lucked out with the weather as most days were in the mid 70's (cooler in Venice) and fortunately the only day it rained was a day we were in transit.

The trains were easy to figure out, clean, and on time.

Your comments and suggestions proved very useful and helped to make our trip successful. Thanks again!

Of course we would be happy to contribute to the forum by answering any questions.

Posted by
649 posts

I do have one question- did you purchase your high speed train tickets on line from Trentalia before you left home??

Posted by
32213 posts

holly,

It's great to hear that you had such a wonderful trip! I imagine you'll start planning the next one very soon.

Shelley,

For advance purchase of Trenitalia or Italo tickets, I'd suggest using Capitaine Train as the website is VERY easy to use.

Posted by
12 posts

Shelley-

Most people on this forum will advise you to NOT purchase advance train tickets the day your flight arrives. Since the tickets are not refundable, if your flight is delayed for any reason you will be out the money. We decided to gamble since the cost was so little due to a promo code someone here posted. We also gave ourselves a little leeway and booked a ticket for a few hours after our plane was supposed to arrive. Of course our flight was late, and it took more time than we thought to get to the train station. However we managed to get there about 30 minutes before the train departed so everything turned out OK.

Posted by
5222 posts

Holly,

It's great to hear that you had a great trip!

Where did you stay while in Florence & Venice?

Posted by
7737 posts

Hollyjolly, you absolutely did the right thing buying those tickets in advance because of the huge discount. It was worth the risk and it paid off!

Posted by
12 posts

Hi Priscilla

I am not sure of the rules of the forum, but I will send you a private message later today after work or tomorrow morning with the info about our apartments in Florence and Venice.

Posted by
12 posts

Jim -

Yes, when we found that discounted fare we knew it was a no-brainer and had to make this trip work!

Posted by
12 posts

Michael -

Buying the ticket in advance was a little bit of a gamble, but forum members here said "Go for it!" and we are glad we did!

Posted by
405 posts

Hi Holly, Glad you had a wonderful trip! Could you please send me info about your Venice apartment?
Grazie!

Posted by
11 posts

Hi Holly, Glad you had a great time. If you can send me the info where you stayed with on VRBO.com I would really be grateful. I'm trying to plan a first time trip in Oct. for three and am worry about renting apt. instead of hotels.

thanks

Posted by
922 posts

$799 round trip for two? Damn, what a deal!

Jim - this was a big sale that Emirates did for specific dates back in January or February for direct flights from JFK to MXP and that was the lowest price for coach. I believe you could also do 2 in Business Class for around $1600. Too bad I already had my tickets to Italy for my trip! I guess it doesn't always pay to buy too far in advance!