Please sign in to post.

Termini Station Rome

We're traveling thru Europe several weeks this summer. We'll have a car. We'd like to leave it somewhere and take the train into Rome via Termini Station for several days - stay somewhere in the city without the car. Is there a suggested place outside of Rome to leave our car and take the train in - where our car will be safe for several days unattended? Is there a big station where a lot of people leave cars 'out' somewhere, much like an airport parking or big train parking lot area?

Posted by
15274 posts

That is not a good plan. Why would you want to pay rental charges and parking fees?
The good plan is to plan your Rome visit at the beginning (or at the end) of your trip so that you rent the car after you see Rome (or return it before you visit Rome).
If for whatever reason you can't change your itinerary sequence, it might be better to have two separate rentals. If that is not possible either, then you should look for a hotel in Rome that has parking for guests. I would not leave a rental car in a parking lot for days.
The other question I have for you is whether you need a car for your entire trip. Could you please list all your planned destination cities in Europe so that we all can help you plan your itinerary better? Note that if you rent a car in a country and return it in another there are huge drop off fees that run in the hundreds of euros.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for your reply. The itinerary doesn't allow me to put the car rental at beginning or end of the stay. It's a good idea but I can't make that happen. I actually don't mind paying for a car parking fee if it wasn't exorbitant while we rented a B&B in the city. Are there BNBs that allow free parking? We weren't looking for some modern hotel.

Are you saying it wouldn't be safe to leave the car alone anywhere that long? Thx for your reply.

PS. We've already rented a car. We're in Europe all over for six weeks. Picking up and dropping off in Germany but in Czech, Hungary, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, etc.

Posted by
32224 posts

Have you rented cars in Europe previously? Given the places you'll be visiting, some questions come to mind. For example, as you'll be renting in Germany, you'll want to make sure you buy the highway tax Vignette when you enter Austria and Czech Republic. If you're caught without it, hefty fines will result. Also, don't forget the International Driver's Permit for each driver, as it's compulsory in Italy. In some places in Europe, fines are payable on the spot, so be sure to keep some cash on hand.

Unfortunately, I don't have an easy answer for your parking situation. The only solution that comes to mind would be to find a hotel that offers parking, however if your accommodations are within the city you'd need to find a route to get there that avoids the ZTL (limited traffic) areas as again, hefty fines will result for EACH violation through those. As I recall, there's a large car park near the station in Orvieto, which is about an hour outside Rome by train, and you may be able to park there. I have no idea what the parking rates are there.

Posted by
11613 posts

I checked booking.com and there are many hotels in the centro storico that offer parking "nearby" for a fee - seems to be around €25-30 per day. These hotels are in several price ranges but most are not B&Bs.

Filter for parking when you search.

Posted by
6 posts

I did rent a car in Europe for 3 weeks a few years ago. I have an IDP and I'm familiar w the vignettes needed( thanks to rickvsteves books). !!!

Thanks for the tips. I'll check booking.com as well as the Orvieto station. It doesn't sound like you'd advise me to leave it at a place like that for five days though? Am I hearing that right?

Posted by
6 posts

Also. Please read my last reply. Would parking at romes airport be a safe good option?

Posted by
8293 posts

Ron in Rome (roninrome.com) has a list of hotels in Rome with free parking.

Posted by
20266 posts

You might also try the economy lot at Fiumicino Airport. Free shuttle to the terminal and frequent trains to Termini from there.

Posted by
6 posts

Wow. Thanks for that website info. So you think parking at airport is both a good and safe option as well? Especially if our hearts are set on bnb rather than a hotel?

Are you aware if you have to actually have a flight booked to park at long term airport parking? I would doubt it but then again, it isn't the US were talking.

Posted by
33 posts

According to the RS Guide to Italy 2014, page 824 indicates that Orvieto is a good place to stash a car for a few days and ride the 1.5 hour train to Roma Termini. Free safe parking suggested near the Orvieto train station. I have not personally done this, but RS is "da man" for travel so I'd bank on it.

Posted by
15274 posts

I would not leave the car all the way in Orvieto. It would be as if my hotel were in San Francisco and I left my car in San Jose. That is insane. None of you would do something like that in America, so why are you even considering this? Most hotels in Rome, even if they may not offer parking themselves, would be able to refer you to a nearby garage. No matter what, you have to pay, because I wouldn't leave a car in a street or free unguarded lot for five days ( all the way in Orvieto). So you might as well have your car parked in a guarded garage as close as possible to your hotel. That would be more convenient in case one of the five days you decided to take a day trip somewhere nearby like the Colli Romani (Roman Hills), the coast, lake Bracciano, Tivoli or wherever. There are many hotels in Rome, not far from the historical center, that have a garage. Search and you will find one.

Posted by
6 posts

OK. That does make sense - not to leave the car all the way in Orvieto - i wasn't really comfortable with that. But i also don't think i'm going to need it or want it while i'm at the B&B in Rome area. I mentioned in this stream that i was considering just using the airport long term parking which i can get for a week for 67Euro and then take a cab to my hotel for the week - i'm just thinking that's likely cheaper than any local garages, but i don't know for sure. Can you give me your thoughts about leaving it at the Airport for 5 or 6 days in terms of safety, etc?

Thanks so much.
Very helpful to read all these comments.

Posted by
11373 posts

Can you give me your thoughts about leaving it at the Airport for 5 or 6 days in terms of safety, etc?

Like anywhere, things happen, no matter where you park. We always get the Super Coverage which means if there's a scratch on the car or even if it is totaled, we walk away. Peace of mind.

Posted by
11373 posts

Can you give me your thoughts about leaving it at the Airport for 5 or 6 days in terms of safety, etc?

Like anywhere, things happen, no matter where you park. We always get the Super Coverage which means if there's a scratch on the car or even if it is totaled, we walk away. Peace of mind.

Posted by
11613 posts

When you find your B&B, perhaps they can suggest a local garage - my cousins in Roma used to be in the business but they retired years ago. Most spaces are leased to locals, but you might be lucky.

Posted by
15274 posts

Find a hotel with garage. If not, there are several parking garages all over downtown Rome. I'm sure there will be one near your B&B. For example at Termini train station there is a guarded garage structure where they charge 18€ a day. For five days it's cheaper than the airport because from the airport it's 50€ each way with a taxi or 15€ per person each way with the train.