Please sign in to post.

Taxis in Rome

We have never been to Rome. We have taken taxis in the US and Uber in other countries but not sure what to expect from a taxi in Rome. Our AirBNB is about a 30 minute walk from Rome termini station and we want to take a taxi from the Rome Termini Train station to our AirbNB. Will there be a taxi stand at the train station?
Also, We are staying near the Pantheon in Rome. How do we find a taxi stand to take a taxi back to the train station when we leave Rome?
Thank you for your guidance.

Posted by
6108 posts

There are taxis outside the station
Go to the official line

There are taxi ranks at or near all major sights
You cannot flag one down
Must go to the taxi rank

https://www.livitaly.com/find-taxi-stands-rome/

There is no Uber as we know it in Rome
There are several taxi apps you can use
A search of this forum will bring them up

Posted by
560 posts

There is a taxi stand right next to the Pantheon, on the right side as you face the building.

Posted by
291 posts

When in a taxi in Rome, keep your eye on the meter. One time, the driver kept changing the radio station, and as he did so, the fare increased substantially. I saw it happen, and demanded he stop the taxi so we could get out.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you so much for your replies! They were very helpful!
The taxi app MyTaxi looks very useful for requesting a taxi to pick us up at a particular time.
We have to leave early for our departure to Rome FCO airport. We have to leave our AirBNB @7:00 am, and I would like to arrange for a taxi to take us back to the train station at that time.

What do you know about the Leonardo Express train that takes you to the airport from the Rome Termini station? Is this easy to do? And less costly than taking a taxi directly to the airport from the city?

Thank you!

Posted by
11 posts

Hi Christine H,
There are two of us. I was thinking the same as you. When doing the math, it seems to make sense to take a taxi - rather than taxi to train station and then Leonardo express to airport.
Do you know how long the taxi ride is from Rome/the Pantheon to the FCO Airport? I am a little nervous of being in a taxi for a long time. I would imagine that the driving is crazy through Rome and its surrounding areas. Maybe I just need some reassurance? Haha
Thanks!

Posted by
6108 posts

10-15 to Termini

40-50 or so to FCO

You’ll be fine
Thousands of people take taxis every day in Rome

Posted by
16 posts

My airbnb host offered to arrange a taxi to our apartment in central Rome near Ponte Sister for 58 euros. The taxi driver will be waiting for us with a sign with our name on it. I decided to do that because after a long flight from the US I don't want to stand in line, etc.

Our host also recommended that we download FREENOW taxi app for early pickups. We have several tours that meet at 7 am so we will arrange for a pick up. I would be interested if any other travelers have used FREENOW app for early pickups and how reliable are they. Also, does the meter start where the taxi is, or does it start when you enter the taxi. Thanks

Posted by
150 posts

If you have flown all night and arrive in the am a taxi is great to have a direct drop to the door of your hotel. Highly recommend this. We made a reservation and agreed to price and the guy was waiting with our name on his sign and no problems.

Posted by
11 posts

Ponygirl813, Thank you for the location of the taxi stand at the Pantheon. We are very close to it and saw it last night.
How do you call ahead for them to pick you up? Or do you just stand there and hope that one comes soon…? We saw people standing there and there were no taxis driving around at 8:30 pm. We need a taxi at 7:00 am.
Did you use the FreeNow app?

Posted by
560 posts

I'm surprised to hear of no taxis at the Pantheon at 8:30 p.m., but that is prime dinner hour and Rome is still crowded. You should have no trouble early in the morning--they start gathering before 6. I have never used an app to summon a taxi. In a pinch, if you walk down the street where the Pantheon stand is located, you will come to Largo Argentina where there is a larger taxi stand. It's about a five-minute walk. Also the location of Caesar's assassination and the cat sanctuary.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for the information. We walked to the Pantheon at 6:45am and saw many taxis lined up at the Taxi stand to the right. We confirmed the flat rate of 50 € and we were off to FCO airport. It was that easy! It took us less than 40 minutes at that time in the morning. Best decision to take the taxi!!

Posted by
4 posts

I realize this is a late reply, but in Dec 2022, a Taxi Driver in Rome pointed me to the app called 'taxi.eu'. I picked up his taxi at a stand, but he was getting requests through that app on his phone, so I asked him about it. Anyone know if it's still in use in Rome?