Please sign in to post.

taxis in rome

How much can one expect to pay for a taxi from airport to Vatican City and how long is the ride on a Wednesday?

Posted by
23269 posts

I believe the Vatican City would fall under the fixed rate - 40E - from the airport. Probably about 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic and time of day.

Posted by
290 posts

Yes, if you will be flying into Fiumicino (also known as Leonardo da Vinci) airport (code FCO), then there is a fixed rate of 40 Euro for up to four passengers. (the price is 30 Euro from Ciampino airport) A few things to keep in mind: 1. Go to the official taxi stand. Follow the airport overhead signs as you leave baggage claim to go outside to the Taxi area. There you'll see a line of cabs. Go to the first cab in line that does not already have passengers and the cabbie will assist you. 2. So do not respond to those offering taxi services inside the airport or even outside on the curb, apart from the official taxi stand. 3. The official price is posted on a sign right near the head of the taxi line. It is 40 Euro to anywhere within the city walls -- that includes the Vatican area. 4. You do not have to tip the cab driver, though if you REALLY want to you might give him one or two Euro extra. However, tipping is not required at all. 5. It would be a good idea to have exact change on hand.
6. Usually there is a paper posted in the back seat that also outlines all the charges. The cab driver should not start the meter since you are paying the flat rate airport service. Enjoy your visit to Rome!

Posted by
32772 posts

Ron in Rome's discussion about the flat rate is excellent. I note that the Vatican is not "Within The Walls" but below that it does appear on the "Agreement" map. Just in case the driver says that the flat rate doesn't pertain because the Vatican is outside the walls. If you are going on a Wednesday to see the Pontiff you may find that you are one among many both going to the Vatican and getting through security.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all for the help! And I am trying to get to the Mass on Wednesday, I am meeting family who have tickets.

Posted by
77 posts

Italian taxi drivers are crazy & make NYC cabbies look like wimps!

Posted by
144 posts

Please get a quote before getting in the taxi. On several occasions, once in front of the vatican we were quoted 22 euros for a 7-8 euro ride. We walked maybe 5 minutes and got a taxi for 8 euros to trastevere. Another taxi by the colosseum told us 18 euros to trastevere when we walked 5 minutes it ended up being 7 euros.

Posted by
290 posts

I have found that the "getting a quote" thing rarely works. What they will do is try to lock you into a price that may be higher than if they just ran the meter. My rule for taxis is: if I am taking it from the airport, I "noticeably" look up at the sign that has the law and the price printed on it by the taxi stand, and then I confirm that it is 40 Euro, right? They say yes and all is good. (Incidentally, once at Ciampino airport a woman cab driver tried to tell me it would be "about €45" to go to the center of the city the fixed rate for Ciampino is €30. Next cab please!) Around town, I simply make sure that they use the meter. When I get into a cab at a cab stand, they should start the meter when I get in and during the day ordinarily it should start at €2,80. On the weekends it may be a bit higher - can't remember. If they are running the meter and you have given them the address where you need to go, then you shouldn't get scammed.

Posted by
27 posts

It was suggested that we should print out the law specifying the 40 EUR rate in case the cab driver has second thoughts once we reach our destination. Where would I find that to print it out? Also, we have to make an appt. with the landlady for out apartment. ABOUT how long would a cab take from FCO to the area near Corso V. Emmanuel and Via dei Banchi Vecchio?
thanks in advance.