Please sign in to post.

Taxis

If we take a taxi between Rome and the airport, which I understand is a flat rate of 48 euros, do the cabs take cash?

Posted by
2768 posts

Absolutely. In fact they probably ONLY take cash. Credit card machines in Rome cabs are rare if they exist at all.

Posted by
11514 posts

Can you pay for a taxi in Rome with A credit card?

All Rome city taxis are required by law to have POS machines. This means you SHOULD be able to pay with a credit card.

You probably won't be able to pay with American Express, which is somewhat unpopular among merchants in Italy due to the high fees they have to pay to accept it.

Also, just be aware it is common in Italy for POS machines to mysteriously be "out of order." So I suggest you plan to be able to pay in cash, just in case.

Above from this site--- https://www.romewise.com/taxi-in-rome.html#pay-rome-taxi-credit-card

Posted by
3812 posts

It May ne common in Rome, I can't remember the last time I couldn't pay by debit card. Farmers market stalls are mow taking cards, too.
theresab, before getting on make clear you have no cash. Very clear

Posted by
2768 posts

Interesting. As of 1-2 years ago I did not see any credit card machines and the drivers said cash only. Perhaps it has changed or maybe the machines were broken/drivers said they were because they preferred cash. In general I prefer to pay by credit card, but taxis are one area where I've had trouble with this.

Regardless, be prepared with cash but pay with credit card if available and you prefer it. If you NEED to pay by card, pre-book a car service. Those are often pre-paid online and cost very similar to a cab (I think I paid 50 last time).

Posted by
15489 posts

Cash is always welcome, and it’s actually the preferred method of payment in Italy, especially among Italian merchants who are famous for dodging the tax man (and taxi drivers are among them).

They all have credit card terminals too, although they’ll find every excuse to make you pay in cash (e.g. the machine just broke, the machine was forgotten at home, the dog ate the machine, the machine fell in the toilet, the machine requires a 200 character PIN, the machine was stolen, etc.)

Posted by
5 posts

I was just in Rome and took a taxi from the airport to my hotel. There is a set price of 48 euros with the official taxi company. A driver still tried to charge me 60 euros which I declined to pay and got another taxi from the rank for 48. I talked to people who were conned into the 60 euros. Confirm the price before you get into the taxi an don't get into a taxi if they don't give you the 48 euro price.

Posted by
3812 posts

Fiumicino based taxis are not forced to apply the 48 fixed fare, they ask for 60 and they have the right to. Saying somebody tried to con you before being 100% sure is not nice.

Incidentally, there are no taxi companies in Italy, either.

I did not see any credit card machines and the drivers said cash only.

Brace yourself: Romans lie to tourists.

Posted by
33 posts

Thank you everyone. I will have cash in case. Heading to Rome today after being in rural Tuscany. I am ready for the big city!

Posted by
5 posts

There is in fact a fixed rate from the airport to the city...48 euros. RS recommends that you take the Roma Capitol taxi from the official taxi stand at the airport and only pay the 48 euro fixed rate. It isn't a matter of not being nice it is taking care of yourself when taxi drivers will try to take advantage of tourists.