Please sign in to post.

tap water in Italy?

Is it safe to drink water from the tap in Tuscany, or do we need to buy bottled water? We will be in Florence, Sienna, and the hill towns in October. We're big water drinkers (as well as wine). I'd like to know opinions about the advisability of drinking tap water or buying bottles. Thanks!

Posted by
1059 posts

tap water is usually fine. most places have fountains where the water is cool and refreshing. I like to bring a bottle along to keep refilling all day long. water, that is, not the wine. the wine is best when you have a chance to sit and remind yourself that you deserve this! BTW Sienna is a car, Siena is a city.

Posted by
33577 posts

I have been drinking tap water all over Italy except south of Campagna but that is only because I haven't gone south of Campagna.

Never a second thought.

European water is good and clean. Much comes from the Alps.

Posted by
10 posts

Yes the tap water is safe but for me the taste is not that nice. The tap water in Italy is chlorinated which makes it safe to drink.
The only thing is that the water pipes are not always buried so the water temperature is sometimes higher thus requiring the chlorine.
I know that a lot of countries use chlorine to make the water safe but for me living in the Netherlands this is something i am not used to.

Jerry

Posted by
7943 posts

It is perfectly fine. I will often buy a bottle of water, but refill from taps throughout the day.

At restaurants though, I ask for water, but do not make a big deal of insisting on Tap water, if that is what they bring fine, if they bring a bottle (and charge), that's fine too. Sometimes I do specifically ask for carbonated water, as I enjoy that with a meal.

Posted by
27705 posts

In Italy the general preference in restaurants seems to be bottled, sparkling water. If you want still water, order it specifically. It's also best to double-check the label, because I have several times been served sparkling water instead.

Posted by
2768 posts

Perfectly fine. Fill up your bottle in the hotel and there are public fountains to refill it in many places.

But good luck getting tap water in restaurants. You can ask but it’s unusual and they often resist. I find it easier to buy bottles in restaurants. You can get a large bottle (still or sparkling, up to you) for cheap in any restaurant.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for your input about tap water! I'm blaming Auto-correct for the Siena/Sienna thing. I typed Siena and it underlined red. I pondered a little and threw in another n and the red underline went away. Is sienna also the color?

Posted by
5344 posts

Thanks for your input about tap water! I'm blaming Auto-correct for
the Siena/Sienna thing. I typed Siena and it underlined red. I
pondered a little and threw in another n and the red underline went
away. Is sienna also the color?

Sienna is the colour. Burnt Sienna and burnt Siena are 2 very different things, lol.

Posted by
616 posts

Tap water is safe in Italy.
However depending of where you are going its taste differ.
Fountain water is good and bottled water is cheap (40 cents a big bottle at the supermarket). So I do not understand why water seems to be a problem for Americans coming to Italy.

Posted by
8 posts

Francoise, for those of us who have traveled to Mexico, we know the risks of drinking the local water. Just FYI
I'm happy to know the water in Italy is safe/good.

Posted by
40 posts

If you see a sign on a fountain or a tap that reads “Non potabile” don’t drink it, it means “not drinkable”.
At restaurants you just don’t ask for tap water. A 2 liters bottle of water at a supermarket, like Coop (very good choice), will likely cost no more than 50 cents, probably less.

Posted by
11747 posts

Siena (with one “n”) is also a car

Closer to over size golf cart, than a car.

On topic, tap water is fine. In 4 weeks of touring Italy, found only 2 fountains that were labeled non-potable

Posted by
1321 posts

tap - and you can ask at restaurants for tap and not pay for bottled. If you can bring a reusable bottle like a Hydroflask and fill your bottles don't buy plastic bottles.

Posted by
40 posts

Yes, you can of course, but “locals”, when they go out to dinner, will never ask for “una caraffa di acqua del rubinetto”, that is, for a jug of tap water. But of course you can ask.

Posted by
7737 posts

Of course it's safe. Italy is not Mexico. It's a major industrial European nation.

Posted by
3522 posts

Tap water is fine in Italy. Never had any issue getting that at restaurants (of course it was usually along with several bottles of wine, so that probably reduced their resistance. The wine was for the group, not just me).

I also drank water from fountains in several Italian cities. A difficult thing to get used to when you just don't do that where I came from. The fountain water always tasted better than tap water to me. No negative side affects.

And no need to pick on any other country about their water. I have been places in the US where you don't drink the tap water too.

Posted by
39 posts

Just spent 10 days at Lake Como, filled water bottle several times at municipal fountains, no problems. Varenna has at least 3, water tasted fine to me, nice and cool.

Posted by
47 posts

It's generally safe, though there's no way I'd drink from a nasoni. FWIW, years ago, the water in metropolitan Naples was unsafe and under a boil order. Even after the order was lifted, I never drank unboiled tap water in that general area.