Please sign in to post.

Tap water in Italy

Is it safe to drink the tap water in Italy?

Posted by
3812 posts

As safe as in Germany, Spain, UK, France and all the other EU countries that have agreed upon common standards. Is it safe in your country?

Posted by
15244 posts

Tap water is safe.
But wine is safer.

Just to let you know. Unlike in America, restaurants in Italy do not serve tap water at the table. So be ready to order bottled mineral water (sparkling or still, depending on your preference). Bottled mineral water is very cheap in Italy. Maybe a couple of euro for a liter bottle at a restaurant (at a grocery store less than 50 cents). It is not like in the US where restaurants charge $8-$10 for a small bottle of sparkling water. That’s the price of a liter of house wine at a restaurant in Italy.

Posted by
7577 posts

Unlike in America, restaurants in Italy do not serve tap water at the table

Ah, yes, one of Rick Steves few mis-steps, teaching generations of travelers to say "Tap Water, Please" in every European language.

Posted by
62 posts

Tastes better than in USA. Restaurants all offer “still” or “with gas” - you can buy water anywhere. Or you can fill your water bottle at the fountains in town.

Posted by
2844 posts

Millions of Italians seem to do so every day without ill effects.
There are a few side effects reported by those from the US who elect to imbibe that you need to be aware of however, such as an increased appreciation of good food and wine, a relaxed attitude towards life in general, and an alarming tendency to "talk with your hands" when conversing with others. Luckily, the symptoms seem to dissipate once the visitor returns home so the effects are only temporary.

Posted by
2121 posts

It's fine. However, the first time I was in Italy in 1966 it wasn't. I made the mistake of rinsing my toothbrush in the tap in Venice and suffered the consequences.

Posted by
1041 posts

Not only safe, but fun! The public, gravity-fed water fountains that are ubiquitous in the old parts of Rome have been there for centuries.

Posted by
135 posts

Y’all crack me up! Leaving for Venice Italy tomorrow and I cannot wait to drink the safe water and even more safe 🍷 Ciao.

Posted by
658 posts

While it is safe, very few of my friends in the Modena area drink tap water. They all buy bottled water! I am the exception.

Posted by
6332 posts

Robert, on the contrary, the side effects linger for years, and can only be ameliorated by return trips to Italy.

Posted by
8502 posts

The water coming from the nasoni is the same water that serves the taps in homes and restaurants. Except some of those nasoni are made of lead.

Standards are standards, not guarantees. You can't generalize about a whole country's water. The water in the US is safe too, unless of course you live in Jackson, MS or Flint MI, or countless other places with deteriorated infrastructure. When we were in Trapani, there was an EU health advisory not to drink the water because the treatment was below standard.

Posted by
15244 posts

I would not recommend to order tap water at a restaurant in Italy, even if Rick Steves taught you how to say in all languages. Not because restaurants’ water is unsafe, but because it will not be well received by the restaurant staff. Considering the insignificant cost of bottled water (generally less than €2/lt). You will be immediately labeled as a cheapskate customer and treated accordingly. Bottled water is actually an important revenue stream for restaurants. it is cheap but the markup is high.

Posted by
471 posts

Asking for tap water is a rookie mistake in Italy. Just don't. You can order fizzy water for a song and it makes every day feel like a party. Remember, there won't be any ice and many times the bottled water (or in a jug or pitcher) will be cool. It seemed to me that they always brought us Americans the cooler water. There were also a couple of places where we got icy mugs for beer, too. When in doubt, drink wine but order the house wine! It's generally excellent and also cheap.

Posted by
7577 posts

Look. I totally agree on ordering a bottle of water, I was just pointing out, at least in the old days, nearly every RS Guidebook had a line about ordering tap water, to save money, along with the appropriate phrase (RS was "budget travel" back in the day, now it is "retired or near retired people with a healthy nest egg travel")

I think the guidance has changed, or at least softened according to this: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/sleeping-eating/drink-like-a-european ...but he still brings it up