Please sign in to post.

Taormina

I am interested in hotel/agriturismo/B&B recommendations for Taormina (any Rick Steve's tour hotels also) , and also any restaurants, (and things do around the area) anyone would like to recommend. I am planning to see Mount Etna and maybe a winery in the area. I will have a rental car, so parking is a consideration for hotels. (Planning a 3 night stay.)
Thanks to everyone in advance. Y'all are always so helpful!

Posted by
8377 posts

Well, I was just there on the RS Sicily tour and we stayed at the Hotel Continental, from which there was a short walk down to the main shopping street (pedestrian). Nice view of Etna from their patio. Don't know about parking. Streets are very windy and narrow. As part of the tour, we visited the Benanti winery on the slopes of Etna, which was very nice, but I'm not sure if they do regular tourist visits, or it was just arranged for the RS tour. There is a mountaintop village you can visit (Montecula?), a Greek theater, and you can take a gondola (the Funivia) down to the beach area. Otherwise it is a heavily touristed place and just jammed with restaurants and shops. We really liked it, even though it was touristy.

Posted by
34 posts

Thanks! I appreciate the information. I'll check out that hotel and ask about parking.

Posted by
7049 posts

Taormina is a very compact, high-end destination with limited parking since it abuts the sea on a very tall cliff. If budget is at all a concern, I would also consider Giardini-Naxos which is not on a high perch but rather flat along the water, close to Taormina, and probably easier to park in (and less expensive).

Posted by
11053 posts

Hotel Villa Schuler has some parking . Book your parking whenyou book your room. Taormina is a steep winding hill. You cantake a gondola down to the beach, very easy.
Restaurants- Nettuno for seafood and Neeo d’Avola.

Posted by
6385 posts

We stayed at hotel Bel Soggiorno in Taormina and enjoyed our stay. It’s about halfway up the hill from the beach to the center city. It does have free parking that can be tricky depending on when you arrive and how many cars are already there. It helps to look it up (Google street view) ahead of time so you know what to look for since parking is on the right just after coming around a corner. The walk to the center city is 10 minutes via nearby stairs. The view from the dining room patio is amazing. With the recent continuing eruptions of Mt. Etna, that have closed the airport a couple times, check with the winery you want to tour, if close to Etna, to ensure tours are still being offered.