Please sign in to post.

Suggestions please

Wife an I are starting to plan our 2021 Italy vacation. We plan on 15 days including travel from Fort Worth Texas.
If you had 13 days and it was your first time, what would your itinerary look like?
Thank you :)

Posted by
4836 posts

If you want to see the "big three," Rome-Florence-Venice, it will be easy. Just keep in mind there is no rule that you have to see all three (or any) of the big three on your first trip. So, I first suggest deciding that. Thirteen days is perfect for those three cities with time for day trips, particularly if you can fly into Venice and out of Rome.
If you think you would prefer something different, share what month the trip will occur, as suggestions can vary wildly by season, and also ponder if you would be open to driving (for rural, village travel) or if you want to stick to train and buses. Enjoy the planning!

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for the response! Not sure time of year just yet, any recommendations? We can fly into any airport, no problem there. We plan on traveling by train so far (wife does not want to rent a car).
Rome, Florence, and Venice, with day trips is kind of what we have been thinking.

Posted by
4836 posts

You are pretty much all set then! I'd delve into a good book to tailor the trip to your interests (specific sites and day trips) and jump right in.
I like May, but I'd go in September or October as well were it not for professional conflicts.

Posted by
2768 posts

For me I’d do either the classic Venice, Florence, Rome in that order -fly into Venice and home from Rome. Train in between cities.

OR

Pick 2 of the big draws above and add Sorrento. That way you can see Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, and Naples.

As for time of year, I advise May or October. Still often warm and pleasant but not as hot or crowded. I’ve actually had great luck with very early June, but some people would say it’s too hot and summer crowds start.

I’d avoid the dead of winter unless you want to be there for Christmas or another specific reason.
Also avoid August. Hot,crowded, and locals go on vacation so some smaller restaurants and stores close.
If you go anytime it could be hot, make sure you get A/C (more common in Italy than northern Europe but you still need to check).

Posted by
2257 posts

I agree that May is a good time. We were in Rome in early September once and it was ultra hot, so later in September would probably be better if you choose that month. Also, the countryside will be drier looking in the fall than in the spring. We have done 19 trips to Europe (averaging almost three weeks per trip) all by train and bus except for four days when we rented a car! In our opinion, public transportation is the way to go.

I would also agree to fly into Venice and out of Rome, though sometimes flights to Venice can be much more expensive than flights to Milan. If you fly into Milan and arrive in the morning after your overnight flight, you can then get on the train and be in Venice by check-in time for your lodging.

We were just in Venice this May/June for the third time and it has gotten unbelievably crowded. We stayed in an outer district (Cannaregio), but if we go again I would choose to stay even farther from the center (Sant'Elena). In Florence, I would choose to stay in the Oltrarno area (across the river from the main sights).

Get Rick Steves' Italy guidebook and read it cover-to-cover (like a novel!).

Posted by
4105 posts

It's best to decide what sites you wish to visit in each city first. Don't try to overload your schedule. Doing one major site in the morning and one in the afternoon, will give you a more enjoyable trip. Then filling in with some walks, a nice lunch and a cafe break or gelato.

Keep in mind that 2 nites= 1 1/2 days, 3= 2 1/2 days etc. travel time will also consume around a half day each time you change locations.

I'll echo valadephia, fly into Venice and out of Rome. This will eleminate a possible very early flight from Venice as transportation at 3-5 am can be expensive.

I'd recommend, and again it would be determined by your sites.

4 N Venice. 1st day jet lagged, 2 days for the city and another for a tour of the outlying islands.

5 N Florence. 2-3 days in the city and 2-3 day trips.

4N Rome. I'd just do Rome, but there are some good day trips an hour away.

Posted by
326 posts

I haven’t been to Italy in about 8 years. But I’ve booked the “best of Italy” Rick Steve’s tour in Sept. 2020. So excited!

I’ve been to Italy many times for work and play. I would definitely visit one or two large cities, but I can’t stress enough to get into the smaller towns too. I went to a couple in Tuscany and they were a welcome, charming relief from the big city hustle. You MUST see the culture and art and history in the large towns, be sure to spend some time in a smaller town nearby. Read Rick Steve’s Italy guide and see what appeals to you. I’m a huge art history and historical sites lover, but the small towns of Italy are so charming and beautiful. I really don’t have enough knowledge to give you perfect advice on the small towns, look at the guidebooks. But I would plan a mix. If you want a whirlwind trip, plan at LEAST 2 days at each location. Remember there is a lot of travel time involved, and if you arrive at a new location, you will spend about a half day just traveling. Then when you get to your location, tours may be over at that point. I honestly would read some travel books and decide what you MUST see, and find a charming town outside that area to spend the next leg of your trip. Happy travels!

Posted by
542 posts

This was our itinerary for first visit:

4 nights Florence
2 nights Lucca
2 nights Venice
4 nights Rome

I really don't think I would change any of it. Maybe another day in Venice so I could venture to Padua. Or maybe a side trip to Bologna from Florence?

Posted by
1375 posts

I support the classic Venice, Florence, Rome suggestions.

Not knowing your interests I will recommend from my own interests :-)

Go in June. The temperature is not yet in the smelting layer and there will be fewer tourists than in September, where big tourist source countries like Germany and Netherlands are still in the summer vacation period.

Venice: 4 nights

• Get over jet lag.
  • Visit Saint Marks Square and the fish market in the morning
  • Visit Murano, Burano, Torcello, Lido, etc during the day.
  • Visit Saint Marks Square in the evening after dinner and enjoy the music.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/ will help find your way from airport to city and find a hotel for your taste.

Florence: 4 nights

• Day trips by bus to Siena, Lucca, etc

Rome: 5 nights

There is also a https://europeforvisitors.com/rome/, but I haven't used it myself.

I recommend at least one visit to the Vatican. Find your way to the very top of Saint Peter and enjoy the view over Rome.
Walk all over Rome.

Posted by
616 posts

My first time in Italy would be
Arrival in Venice
2 days in Venice

5 days in Florence with two outings (day trips) one to San Gimignano and the other in Siena. You will need three days to have a glimpse of what Florence is about. This will also give you the opportunity to have a small idea of what Tuscany is about with San Gimignano and Siena. Instead of one of these two visits you could also do some truffle or porcini hunting, grape pickings or wineries, or cooking class (fresh pasta for instance, available in Florence or elsewhere) on the season and your interests. For myself, however, I would leave all this for a future trip.

Rest of it in Rome (5) - Rome needs much time.
Departure from Rome

Posted by
1 posts

I think Gerri nailed it. Give yourself enough time at each of your destinations. The last thing you want is to have to rush around and be stressed about getting to your appointments. If you like a bit of adventure then I would recommend doing a tandem jump at one of the cities. It' a great way to see a place from a birds eye view and an unforgettable experience. Check out https://www.dropzone.com/skydiving/ for more info on skydiving - there's also a link to a drop zone finder to help you get a good spot ;)

Posted by
3 posts

All this information is great and extremely helpful. Thank you all for your time and opinions. This will help tremendously in planning our trip.
We did a similar trip to Ireland but with CIE Tours motorcoach guided.

Posted by
525 posts

In my opinion: 3 nights so you can have 2 full days in Venice; I would rent a Villa for 6+ days outside Florence (i.e. Castellini in Chanti) rent a car as it's the only way to to tour San Gimignano, Siena Volterra etc. & do 1 maybe 2 side trips to Florence the visit smaller nicer towns; then on to Rome for the balance of your time?
Try not to fly out of Venice as the flights leave very early morning & it's expensive to get to the airport not to mention waking up at 2a.m.

I've been to Venice, Florence & Rome prior to our trip Fall 2020; this time only Venice 4 nights as we're driving to the Dolomites & Rome after our cruise to the Eastern Med. We've rented a 2 bed 2 bath apt. for 4 adults, even if we don't cook, we'll have lots of space. We always travel to Europe in October as the weather is great & the crowds are manageable! Also rented a 2 bed 2 bath in Rome for 4 nights post cruise with a roof top terrace. Both Apts very reasonable.
Cheers,
Jean

Posted by
5 posts

We did this in August for our first trip, including two teens and were very happy with it....15 nights

Fly into Venice - 2 nights, St Marks, Doge Palace, Rialto, Row Venice

fast train to Florence - 5 nights, including day trip to Tuscany and day trip to Cinque terre ( fast train to La Spezzia and back). RS renaissance walk, climbed the Duomo, Uffizi and Accademia.

Fast train to Naples and Campania express to Sorrento - 5 nights including day trips to Capri and Pompeii. Had a couple down days here at the pool/bath of queen giovanna.

Rome - 3 nights in Rome, Colleseum/Forum/Palantine tour, Vatican Museum tour, slightly modified RS Heart of Rome walk, and Capuchin crypt

fly home from Rome

Posted by
5697 posts

My first trip to Italy (at 25) was a week in Florence (no day trips) and a week in Rome (one day trip to Hadrian's Villa) -- but we liked slow, immersive travel. Oh, and one of the days in Florence was a general strike in Italy so nothing was open and we just walked around. Not saying this is the "right" way, just an alternative style.
Didn't get to Venice and small-town Tuscany until later trips.

Posted by
63 posts

I agree with Gerri and charl... 4 nights Venice, 5 nights Florence (with day trips to Tuscany area) and 4 nights Rome. This will still be busy, but I think you will get a good overview and have a fun time as long as you realize that you can't see everything in this amount of time. I've been to Rome twice (one 4-day and one 9-day) and still haven't seen everything!

As far as when to go... I live near Fort Worth too and we went in March both times. There were less crowds and lines and the weather was awesome - 60/70s in the day and a little cooler at night - we took light jackets and were happy. Also, plane tickets and airbnb were a lot less expensive. We did do a winery tour and that wasn't the best for pictures because nothing was green yet, but the wine still tasted amazing! I'm not sure how Tuscany would be that time of year. I just figured on planning a whole other trip just for Tuscany - that's our next trip - 4 nights Florence, 6 nights Tuscan countryside, but we will go in April or May. If you don't mind skipping Venice, you could do something like that and slow it down between big cities - 4 nights Rome, 4 nights Tuscany, 4 nights Florence. Spend your extra day in whatever area you are more excited about, or whatever is more convenient for travel. I guess it depends on what you want to do and what time of year you want to go.

I'm excited for you! Good luck!

Posted by
1635 posts

The three biggies are great, but get away from cities to experience smaller cities and towns. With 2 weeks, a little down time/slower paced is important. Depending on your interests, mix big and small.
Do you like (art, museums, hiking, outdoors, food, wine! History, etc.)

My suggestions:
1. Venice-Dolomites-Tuscany- Florence
2. Fly into Milan, then directly to Lago Maggiore or Lake Como, Verona, Venice, Florence
3. Florence, Tuscany, Rome, Sorento (fly out if Naples)
4. Florence, Lucca, Tuscany, Rome.