Please sign in to post.

Suggestions for trip extension after RS South of Italy, late October 2023

Would you have recommendations for Italian (or other near) destinations for a 5 to 10 day trip extension after Naples in late October into early November, 2023? We will end the RS South of Italy trip there in late October. The tour visits Rome, Tivoli, the Gargano and Adriatic coasts, Alberobello, Matera, Paestum, Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri and Naples.

Train and walking are our preferred travel modes. We - two healthy seniors who enjoy people and active travel - enjoy exploring local culture, history, food, wine, music, art, and architecture. We seek out printing presses, food entrepreneurs, local music events, libraries and bookstores. We have often traveled independently.

Sicily is a consideration, but from Forum comments I understand Sicily really deserves more time. The RS Sicily tour appeals for a future visit.

We will have already been in Rome several days pre-tour, and also were there last fall. We've previously greatly enjoyed central and north eastern Italy. The Lakes and Dolomites are on the wish-list, but for a future, warmer time of year.

Your suggestions would be most appreciated!

Posted by
6 posts

We fly from Seattle to Rome, but have not yet booked outgoing, nor the return. Likely Seattle-Rome RT, but could return from Milan or elsewhere.

Posted by
7357 posts

Pretty much any place deserves as much time as you choose to spend. Sicily’s a big island, with Ancient Greek sights and Roman and exciting places to see, special foods, and a variety of experiences. But you’ll be really close, and 5-10 days would give you a good amount of time to see an interesting assortment of things.

Fly to Palermo or Catania from Naples and dive right in. If you want to go by train, you’ll see the farthest-south part of mainland Italy, Calabria, out the window, before taking the train ferry to Sicily. The eastern part, from Taormina down to Catania and Siracusa, could easily give you a rich 5-10 day Sicily visit. Venture farther west and there’s much more, although I don’t know how the train network fits in. Both Sicily visits (so far), I’ve had a rental car.

Posted by
7357 posts

Then again, you could extend your Southern Italy trip with a bit of more Northerly Italy … Bologna, Cortona, Milan, Lucca, Siena, Florence, Milan. Same deal, a week or week-and-a-half isn’t “enough,” but it’s a decent amount of time, and you’re already in Italy, with the time that’s available. I’d still go for Sicily, with your situation.

Posted by
4375 posts

With five days, i would enjoy the Amalfi coast (you mentioned printing press, there is a paper museum in Amalfi you might find interesting, and as for food perhaps you’d find the colutura of Cetara of interest, maybe a concert in Ravello) and more of Naples. Perhaps Ischia.
With ten days, heck, you could still just enjoy the Naples and Amalfi area, if none of the above appeals then maybe going to Sicily would be the ticket. You still could nit see it all with two weeks so no problem getting a limited look.
I find it a bit harder to plan a public transport trip in the south other than the Naples-Amalfi area.

Posted by
103 posts

We took that tour in Sept.-Oct. 2019, and after the finale in Naples, we spent 5 days on Ischia before returning to Naples to catch the train to Rome for our flight home. We really enjoyed our time on the island and hope to return one of these days.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all! Your experience with the routes, and knowledge of what worked with public transport are so very helpful. Each of your itineraries are so very much appreciated. The details on routes, places, and ideas such as the paper source are just what I am need to move forward with planning our trip. Thank you!

Posted by
2173 posts

Hi Anne! My husband and I spent a total of six weeks in Sicily over two trips, all by public transportation. If you can devote ten days, I would agree with those who think you should go ahead.