Please sign in to post.

Suggestions for Back Doors in Dubrovnik & Rome?

My husband and I are 58 & 60 years old, somewhat active and have no problem walking and hiking the steps that we know we will encounter. When we travel, we love to find unusual experiences and unique places to explore. We prefer to stay in quiet neighborhoods, when possible, or at least quiet at night. We do our research prior to traveling and, of course, always have our Rick Steves guidebooks with us!

This May we will finally take our 30th Anniversary trip! (2 years later ) We plan to start in Dubrovnik and explore the town for a few days. We then board a small boat to island hop up the coast for a week. From Split we fly to Rome to pick up a car, then drive to Cretaiole in Pienza for a week. We’ll then go back to Rome to drop off the car and spend a few days there before heading home.

1. We have not been to Dubrovnik (or Croatia) before. We will only have 2 full days in Dubrovnik and want to make the most of our time. Besides the usual tourist spots, are there certain ‘back doors’ that you have found that we shouldn’t miss? Do you have recommendations for restaurants?

2. We have been to Rome twice and have seen the tourist spots. Are there ‘back doors’ here that you suggest? Which area do you like to stay in? Do you have recommendations for accommodations?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Posted by
3843 posts

As far as back doors in Dubrovnik, I don’t have any but I do have some restaurant recommendations. By the far the best restaurant in Dubrovnik is Restaurant Kopun. It is at the top of the staircase of shame from Game of Thrones. Another good one is Taj Mahal, which is Bosnian food, not Indian. We loved the food but the service was very slow. The Gradska Kavana Arsenal restaurant & bar is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can sit on the city side, or walk through to the sea side. Great people watching. just outside the Pile Gate (the end of the Stadun where the water fountain is) is Dubravka 1836 which has great food and the most beautiful views. It was first opened in 1836, hence the name. And finally, near the market, at the bottom of the staircase is Kamenice which has the best squid, octopus, black risotto, and little fried fish, similar to small sardines. All have outdoor seating.

Posted by
51 posts

Thanks Barbara! Your recommendations will be added to my list. I'm not a Game of Thrones fan, so not sure where the staircase is, but I am sure someone will be able to tell me. Did you experience any communication difficulties? I am wondering if I need to study the Croatian language beyond the basics.