Please sign in to post.

Suggestions for 9-Day Vist to Sicily End-March 2016

Planning 9-day visit to Sicily in late May 2016. Thinking is to spend the first 2 days in Palermo, and then the balance of the trip (days 3-9) out in the countryside. As we plan to travel around by car, we would pick up a rental car in Palermo on day 3 to avoid Palermo parking expenses (and hassles). After departing Palermo, we would overnight in 3 places: 2 nights, 3 nights, then 2 nights. The last place needs to be within and easy drive of Palermo airport, where we would drop the car off on day 10. We would use these three places as bases of operation to explore the surrounding sites. Am looking for recommendations on an itinerary and accommodations. We like places with character, cleanliness, and friendly staff. Any thoughts on sites and accommodations are appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Posted by
11294 posts

If you haven't already booked your flights, you can fly into Palermo and out of Catania (which is actually a larger airport than Palermo, with more flight options). This way, you can see sights on both the eastern and western sides of Sicily easily.

I went to Sicily in spring 2014, and spent 2 nights in Palermo, 2 nights in an agriturismo near Caltanisetta in the center of the island, 3 nights in Siracusa, 2 nights in Taormina, and 1 night in Rome before flying home to the US. So, my trip was quite similar to the one you are planning. My very detailed trip report is here: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/sicily-palermo-caltanisetta-siracusa-taormina

Posted by
9 posts

I agree with Harold: Catania is close to Siracusa and Taormina. Both are beautiful, evocative places with fabulous food. I recommend the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento on the southern coast. I've heard that the town of Noto in Eastern Sicily is also fascinating although I haven't been there.

Posted by
11613 posts

I would put Cefalu ahead of Ragusa or Noto. Visit Monreale on your way out of Palermo, and stop at Segesta. Agrigento is beautiful, as is Siracusa. Taormina and Piazza Armerina (for Villa Romana del Casale) are high on my list. You will have to make some choices.

After you choose your cities, I can give you some hotel recommendations. What is your budget?

Posted by
15582 posts

I flew into Palermo, spent 3 nights/3 days seeing the sights there, then took the train to Cefalu for 2 nights/1 full day and back to Palermo just to pick up a car. From there I spent 3 nights near Segesta to visit the Greek temples (SEgesta, Selinunte and Agrigento) and coastal towns (Erice, Trapani). After that I headed east. With your timetable, I'd say 2 full days in Palermo, 1 in Cefalu and the rest with a car. The beaches will be beautiful but the water will probably still be too cold for swimming. Hotels in Cefalu were the most expensive I found in Sicily, so I'd recommend to only stay 1 night there. If you can fit it in, try to get to Villa Romana del Casale (near the town of Piazza Armerina), it's a wow.

Posted by
11315 posts

Is it March or May? Your subject says "March" but your message says May.

We had a frightfully cold trip in mid-March two years ago. I'd go with April or May. In fact, we will go there again in April next year!

Posted by
5 posts

Need to correct the body of my previous note. We travel end-March....not May. Thanks so far for all the suggestions. Jim