Please sign in to post.

Strikes in Italy

Are strikes in Italy predictable? In other words, do they know when one is planned? The reason I ask----we were in Greece and few years ago and they knew exactly when a strike was to occur and messed up our air travel, openings.

I realize that they can occur any time, but some countries have "planned" government strikes. Thanks

Posted by
1170 posts

This website (in Italian) has a comprehensive list of strikes and strike dates and whether or not the strike is local, regional, or national. You will need to use Google Translate to help you decipher it. Strikes are not random, or spur of the moment. They are scheduled in advance. Click the link "Vedi Elenco Completo" for the complete list.

http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

Posted by
25 posts

There was a train strike while we were there last week.

We had gone to a travel agent to get our Orvieto to Rome ticket and she told us about it. (the day before)

I don't know if it was regional or local etc, but the trains still ran during rush hours to get commuters to and from work. We simply left Orvieto during commuter time and were OK.

The travel agent knew when it would occur and what hours. It was something like 7pm to 7pm - 24 hours, except for rush hour. Very thoughtful of them, don't you think?

Posted by
1170 posts

Also, ask your hotel for updated information on strikes when you get there. If they know your plans, they can give you a "heads up".

Posted by
510 posts

there used to be a website, and it may still exist, that posted things about Italy including scheduled strikes. I think it was initaly.com. You may be able to find it or something similar if you google strikes in Italy.