Please sign in to post.

Strikes in Italy

We'll be in Italy Jan 29-Feb 18 and I was wondering if there is a website or something that might spell out when the strikes will be happening in Italy. I heard that the strikes are usually announced in advance and was wondering if maybe I could find that info so we can plan ahead.
Thanks!

Posted by
7737 posts

This really should be added to the FAQs, shouldn't it?

Posted by
49 posts

Thanks for the reply. I will be bookmarking those and hopefully all will be well when we're there. :)

Posted by
32219 posts

Ann, You might have a look at This Website for information. There have been a few stories about "Strikes" (Scioperi) on the Italian News channels over the last few days, and one that's not mentioned on the website was Pharmacies. THIS is a much more comprehensive list (in Italian though). It looks like you'll be able to avoid them on this occasion, but of course in Italy anything is possible. Happy travels!

Posted by
18 posts

We found ourselves waiting for the train that was never coming in Como IT, Clue: if only Americans are waiting for a train when it's almost departure time...it's on strike. Start asking questions. Don't plan to train/bus to another city for an important date or flight on the same day, always get there the day before. We ended up taking a bus to Switzerland...were told we could also take a taxi...we said yes, sure...$$$$, as it turned out it was about 15 minutes by bus, less than a euro each and we caught the next train, ours had turned back at the border. So near yet so far. Happy travels.
Carol in Oregon

Posted by
23318 posts

We have a lot of time in Europe, nearly a year, over the past 18. And only once encountered a one day train strike. They get a lot of publicity but are not that frequent. We have never "planned" for them and never had a problem other than the one time.