Please sign in to post.

Staying In Venice

I understand prevailing wisdom is its better to stay in Venice as opposed to say Mestre or Padua largely because of the ability to experience the city early and late outside of the main touring times. I wonder does that also apply during the winter? Early November specifically when its colder and sunset is by 5pm - will we want to be 'experiencing the city' or will we want to be inside and might as well be on a train to less expensive lodgings.

Speaking of dark, as I continue to look at alternatives in the city with a 6pm airport arrival time I'm guessing lodging involving as few twists and turns from transit would be preferred all other factors being equal?

Posted by
1446 posts

I would stay in Venice Proper, even in Fall/Winter. Venice is really incredible and I loved being able to enjoy it during the "off" hours such as late at night or early in the morning by simply exiting our hotel and walking 5 minutes in any direction, which wouldn't have been possible if we'd stayed outside of Venice Proper and had to take the train in, etc. Don't underestimate the time it takes to take the train into Venice and then get from the train station (the outskirts) to where you want to go which will probably mean waiting for and taking a vaporetto (public water bus), etc. I think you're better off staying in Venice itself even if it means for fewer days. Focus a few days solely on Venice and then you can move on but don't shortchange Venice Proper; I've been there twice and could easily go back a third time.

In November, lodging rates should be cheaper and more affordable and I've found some very reasonably priced B&B's and hotels in my searches. You might have a look at B&B 3C which is currently rated #13 on Trip Advisor. It's just a few minutes from St. Mark's Square and when I inquired last year, their rates were extremely reasonable. Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
15589 posts

I agree with Sheron. From St. Mark's Square, it's at least 30 minutes by vaporetto to the train station. Then 5-10 minutes walk to the train. Then you wait for the next train and ride to the Mestre station and then you make your way to your hotel or on to Padua . . . .

If you stay in Venice, you can easily pop back to your hotel room during the day for a change of clothes (when the weather changes), or a little rest before going out for the evening. The best time of day in Venice is early, early morning when only the photographers, the sweepers, and the pigeons are out. You will miss that entirely if you aren't staying there.

Posted by
355 posts

Definitely stay in Venice.... If you want to minimize the cost of lodging, you might want to consider an apartment. Not only are they less expensive usually, but you have more room to spread out and have the option of cooking simple meals. Not eating every meal out can save a significant amount.
Venice is so magical after dark and after the throngs have left, it's definitely worth being creative to make it happen.

Posted by
7209 posts

Always stay in Venice if possible. There's nothing like it. I wasted my first trip to Venice by staying in Mestre. It was hot hot hot that summer after walking around Venice for and hour or two it sure would have been nice to escape back to our hotel room for a quick freshen up, but NOOOOOO. Going back to my hotel room involved vaporetto back to Pzl Roma and then a very hot BUS ride back to my stop and then a walk to my hotel. Not a good way to spend my precious time in Venice.

Posted by
2455 posts

You might take a look at the place where I will be staying in late May. It is called Ca dei Polo at www.cadeipolo.com. It has very high ratings, very modest prices, and is on a small and evidently quiet lane quite near the bus station. I chose it for all these reasons, including ease of getting from, then to, both the train and bus stations, by just walking.

Posted by
833 posts

Having stayed in Venice in both late May and early November, I think yes - you will still want to be out exploring after 5pm in early November. It wasn't too cold while I was there and we loved walking around after dark. Watch out for mosquitoes though - they weren't bad while you were walking around outside (I was mostly covered in long sleeves anyway though), but gee did they get into our room when we tried to make it less stuffy. We stayed in a room in an apartment run through a hostel - there was one or two other rooms and a common area that everyone shared. Each personal room had a lock though, so we had no concern about our belongings. A place like that may make it less expensive.

Posted by
7737 posts

We did the same as Keith one time to save money and stayed on the Lido our third time to Venice. Never again. I quickly grew to hate the wasted time waiting for the vaporetto and then the noisy ride itself. I won't be penny wise and pound foolish again.

Posted by
5 posts

We stayed at Campiello Zen last September, and loved it so much we're going back again for a longer stay. It's an easy walk from the train station, take the bridge over the Grand Canal, then walk 10 minutes at the very most, no more bridges. Andrea posts a very good map on their website, we printed it and had it with us when we arrived. It's seconds from the Riva de Biasio vaporetto stop. When it came time to leave we took the vaparetto to the bus station and caught the bus back to the airport. For good reason, Campiello Zen constantly ranks as the top one or two bed and breakfasts in Venice on Trip Advisor, yet the prices are reasonable. Andrea and his wife Susanna will help you with plans for the day, dinner suggestions and reservations and whatever you need, such a great couple. If weather and schedule permits be sure to go out with Andre in his boat for a tour of the canals (an hour and a half, 100 euros for 2)We stayed a night in "Ginko", then the rest of the time in the "Nest", fellow guests showed us their rooms which were great too. Nice breakfast buffet and nice common room. Quiet neighborhood with good, reasonable restaurants nearby. Please do stay in Venice itself, you won't regret it!

Posted by
1883 posts

Interesting Larry in Carmel CA, we have reservations at the same hotel, Ca dei' Polo....found it on Booking.com. Seems like an easy walk from the train station for our 3 night stay in Venice in just a few weeks. Booked it because of the price/location. and Francesca has been great with emailing so far...we have a late arrival, and they don't live at the B & B, but she is going to come back to meet us and check us in....I was worried about a late fee for checking in, but she waved it when I explained we arrive by plane in Florence, then take the train to Venice...not flying directly to Venice. FF miles and all -- you understand.