Please sign in to post.

Staying in Umbria

My friends and I are planning to go to Umbria for 4 weeks next May. We would like to stay in 2 centrally located places, one in the north and one in the south for 2 weeks each. We shall have a car. What cities or towns do you recommend.

Posted by
11175 posts

How many, what age group and what is it you want to do?

Posted by
2 posts

Assisi and Orvieto were definitely 2 in the running. We are 3 very active senior women. We like to see towns and country, try all the food, experience the place.

Posted by
620 posts

Hi Nancy,
I am forever trotting out Bevagna as a base. Maybe also check out the following splurge possibility as part of your stay, the quasi-secretive 'Abbazia S. Pietro en valle'.
good luck
I am done. The end.

Posted by
3594 posts

We stayed near Lago Trasimeno and were able to do day trips as far north as Gubbio and south to Spoleto. Also to several towns in Tuscany. We even went to Urbino (I know, not Umbria), but that was a lot of driving. Very close to each other and visit worthy are Bevagna, Spello, and Montefalco. If you like and want to buy ceramics, Deruta is the place. It also has a very nice ceramics museum.

Posted by
263 posts

We stayed for a week in Spoleto and loved it. It was an easy drive to all the towns in Umbria that we wanted to see. Spoleto is a lovely small town with narrow cobbled streets, some very good restaurants, and it's small enough to start to feel at home in a short time. We found a lovely apartment through vrbo.com and are hoping to stay there again when we can all travel again.

Posted by
227 posts

Orvieto and Assisi get my vote. Stayed overnight in each town and would definitely go back.

Posted by
32201 posts

I would also vote for Orvieto and Assisi, especially as you have a car. Both cities have ZTL areas but as I recall there's reasonable parking available.

I can't remember the details but Orvieto may have parking in the vicinity of the rail station, and from there it's easy to take the Funicular up to town and walk to your hotel.

Lots of hotels in Assisi seem to provide parking, and that was the case with the hotel I stayed at - https://www.hotelideale.it/ . It was outside the main part of the city, so no ZTL problems AFAIK.

Posted by
1232 posts

I have stayed in Orvieto and Perugia. Last trip, while driving through we went to Spello and Montefalco. Spello I especially loved and would stay there next time. That is, if you like smaller towns.

Posted by
221 posts

Any recommendations for places to stay in Assisi and Orvieto? I visited both towns 3 years ago and would like to explore other lodging options.

Posted by
7659 posts

We are planning to do 7-8 nights in Umbria with two nights in Orvieto and the rest in Perugia as a base.