Please sign in to post.

Staying in Siena

Staying in Siena city center for 9 nights in May of 2019. Flying into Rome, spending one night, then to Siena, then to Pisa for one night and flying out of Pisa. Would love a couple of day trips including wine tasting, cooking class, and just experiencing the area. We would love to not have to rent a car. We do not like tourist traps:) Any suggestions??

Posted by
11056 posts

For a good experience in Tuscany you really need to rent a car. It is not hard to drive in Tuscany. Get an IDP and rent from AutoEurope.com. It is basically rural. We have had a car on our five visits to Tuscany and can’t imagine doing it any other way.
When we saw signs pointing down a road to a winery, we turned off the main road and went to them. We did this every day, no reservations for the wine tastings.
Tourist traps? San Gimignano gets the big bus tours but still has a lot to offer visitors.
Drive historic SR 222, the Chiantigiana, between Siena and Florence, filled with charming towns and villages.

Posted by
248 posts

You want to do day trips from Siena, and a rental car might make those easier, although you may also be able to find a small bus/van tour going to a place you want to see. With a rental car, you have to consider the availability/ease of parking when selecting a hotel in Siena

Posted by
6265 posts

We have a friend who loves to visit Sienna. On their most recent trip, she and her husband hired a guide with a vehicle to do day trips. I'll see her at our travel group meeting this weekend; I'll see if she has the contact information. They were well pleased with the excursions.

Posted by
3551 posts

Tuscany is touristy in May. However we found bus travel from Sienna to Pienza, montepulciano and sanGimignano by local bus easy and fun. Give it a try. But beyond that u can easily rent an avis in Siena for easybdriving around. Assissi is wonderful btw

Posted by
1231 posts

There are so many wonderful towns, but you really need a car for most of them. Volterra is one of my favorites, less than an hour from Siena.