Please sign in to post.

Staying in Naples

We have a group of 6 senior adults that are going to stay in Naples for a few days next May. We want to see Pompeii & take the hydro boat over to Capri. Where would the best area for us to stay in Naples & is 3 nights enough time to see everything important. Some of us have been there before but just for a day off of a ship. We’ve never spent the night.

Posted by
27369 posts

No, I don't think 3 nights is going to be long enough. Capri is a full-day side trip and Pompeii is also a long excursion. Walking at Pompeii is not easy due to cobblestoned streets and exceptionally high sidewalks. You really shouldn't try to hurry there.

The city has a lot of other points of interest, among the most prominent being the large archaeological museum where many of the most spectacular finds from Pompeii are displayed, the Capella Sansevero (book tickets in advance; it sells out), the Capodimonte Museum, many religious complexes of interest (I especially liked San Martino) and street life along Spaccanapoli and elsewhere.

Posted by
4253 posts

3 nights = 2 days. That means you won't even see Naples if you want to get to Pompeii and Capri. If you're goal is just for a place to stay while making those daytrips, I recommend Sorrento instead which is closer to both.

We spent 11 days in Sorrento in April and 4 of those were just on the important sites related to the Vesuvius eruption. One day was dedicated to Naples which barely scratched the surface.

Posted by
4578 posts

What is your list of "everything important"? -- it would differ for all of us. You have two nearly full-day day trips panned, so more than two full days would be needed to see anything in Naples.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks for all your comments. It sounds like we need at least a couple more days added to take in everything.

Posted by
7512 posts

Note that this area can be sunny and hot in May so air conditioned hotel is essential. There is nothing wrong with your plan, but some might prefer less historic but slightly resort-y Sorrento. One hour more travel but still good transportation options there. Train to Sorrento can be a hot, intimidating transit experience, so car service often recommended from Naples.

Vast amounts of sun and walking for both Pompeii and Capri. Capri is highly pedestrianized, so taxis cannot reach every sight.

Posted by
45 posts

Just got back from Naples so this is fresh in my mind. I would choose 3 full days in Naples (not travel days). I would like a day for each:
1. Via Toledo / Spaccanapoli / Tribunali
2. National Archeology Museum
3. St. Elmo / Chiaia
We arrived by ferry and stayed on Via Santa Lucia. I would choose this area again, anywhere from Castel Nuovo to Pleblescito to Castel dell’Ovo. We flew out of Naples arriving three hours before a 06:00 flight to find the airport closed. It opened doors at 03:30 but then security check didnt open until 04:30. All went well though at the Italian pace.