Please sign in to post.

Staying in Florence

Hello! Going to Italy in April! Will be staying in Florence for 3 days. What area of Florence do you suggest (north of the duomo, north of Mercato, east of the duomo, etc)??

Posted by
30 posts

Hello. I too am going to Italy in April and will be staying in Florence for 4 nights. This time we are staying in an apartment about 1/2 block from the Duomo on Via dei Servi. Very convenient. I am an older traveller and have no problem staying near the Duomo and walking to all historical areas including the Oltrarno. Enjoy!

Posted by
15137 posts

Any place within a 1km radius of the Piazza Signoria or Piazza Duomo is good. Just use the www.freemaptools.com (choose the radius around a point feature).
The area I prefer is the Oltrarno (south of the river Arno, across from the Ponte Vecchio). "Di la' d'Arno" is where I grew up, but beside that, it's a bit less overrun by tourists (alas, not much less any longer however).

Posted by
1018 posts

We usually arrive in Florence by train and prefer to stay not too far away from the station. We have stayed at Mario's Hotel on Via Faenza several times and found the property and staff to be first rate. It is located just off of Via Nazionale with a five minute walk to Mercato San Lorenzo and a 10 minute walk to the Duomo.

On our last visit we stayed at the Albani Firenze on Via Fiume also just off of Via Nazionale. This property was outstanding and the staff was extremely cordial as well as helpful. We would choose this hotel again as our place to stay while in Florence.

The area for both hotels is quiet and safe.

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
1184 posts

I would also recommend the Albani Firenze. Very classy hotel with a great breakfast.

Posted by
930 posts

Not sure what your budget is . . . we just spent 5 nights at Hotel Bernini Palace - we got a good AAA discount. The location was perfect, walkable to everything, very close to Piazza della Signoria (where all the statues are and the copy of David is). We loved the area - VERY close to all our favorite restaurants and paper shops. The Duomo is also very close. You can see photos and reviews on TripAdvisor. You probably can't go wrong with anything in this area. We just LOVE Florence. Have a wonderful time.

Posted by
32198 posts

jenny,

Another place you might consider is Katti House B&B, which is in a great location not too far from Firenze SMN rail station and also within easy walk to the Duomo and other sights. They also operate a restaurant on the ground floor and I thought the food was great. There's also a Laundromat right across the street, which is very convenient for travellers.

Posted by
7175 posts

Look within the triangle formed by ...
1) Station - Firenze SMN
2) Duomo
3) Ponte alla Carraia (bridge across the Arno)

Posted by
337 posts

I'd second Ken's comment on Katti House. Stayed in 2013 and again this year. Could not do enough for us.

Posted by
6287 posts

We also stayed at Katti House several years ago, before they had the restaurant. Actually, we were put in their "backup" hotel, Soggiorno Annamaria, just across the street. It's very simple, but we loved it. Very affordable as well, and Maria helped us get a taxi to the airport at ungodly-o'clock in the morning. The area is between the train station and the Duomo, with lots of shops and places to eat.

Posted by
715 posts

Isn't Kattii house on Via Faenza? Excellent location. I have stayed multiple times at Locanda Giovanna on Via Faenza 69. Again very simple and affordable.

Posted by
6287 posts

Yes, Via Faenza. It's a great location; lively during the day, but quiet enough at night. And close to the major sights and markets. It's within walking distance of Ponte Vecchio and Oltrarno, as well.

Posted by
1059 posts

On our RS Best of Italy Tour this September, we stayed at the Hotel California. It was very nice and was only 1.5 blocks east of the Duomo and about two blocks from the Accademia where the Statue of David is located. It is on the same street as the Accademia is on. I would recommend it.

Posted by
146 posts

I loved Hotel Degli Orafi. It was right on the Arno and close to everything! The rooms were beautiful, the breakfast was great, and the service was amazing!