Please sign in to post.

Staying in Cinque Terre

I have read a lot of travelers posts about staying in Cinque Terre. Some did not stay in Vernazza and wished they had.. and I know this is Rick's favorite village. I've found beautiful apartments with sea views and terraces and lower rates in Riomaggiore. The places I've found in Vernazza are more expensive but do not have views. Am I better off staying in Vernazza anyway? I plan to do the entire hike between villages and do some shopping in Montorosso, but my main reason for visiting it to take photos.

Thanks for your responses in advance!

Posted by
6898 posts

Yep, Vernazza seems to be the most popular. However, as you point out, Riomaggiore has the better value and views based on your research. You wont' be disappointed with Riomaggiore unless it's a priority to stay where many travelers say is the best village. As for pictures, our best pictures were from the ferry that runs from Monterosso to Portvenere. You get pictures of the whole village from the water.

Posted by
2 posts

thanks, larry! is it easy to (inexpensively) get from village to village?

Posted by
636 posts

There are places in Vernazza with views, so you can have both. (But, from the sounds of it, it's more expensive.)If you want a total splurge (and, I think, worth it, if you can swing it), stay at La Malà. The rooms and views are absolutely amazing.

If you want more information, just let me know, and I can certainly elaborate.

Posted by
6898 posts

Quite easy. The only ways to get between the towns is by train, boat or walking the coastal trails. It's less than 1Euro to ride the train to the next town. However, note that some CT stations do not have ticket offices. If you're staying the the CT for a few days, I suggest purchasing the Cinque Terre Treno card. You can buy them in any TI in the area. This card is sold in 1,2,3 and 7-day variations. It provides unlimited train rides during the validated period, no cost travel on the coastal trails (there are costs) and rides on the mini-buses in the towns. It does not cover the ferry.

Posted by
1589 posts

Robin, to follow up on Larry's note, you will need this pass to walk the trails as well. I see no reason to stay in any one particular village, although Vernazza is "home" to us when we go. The others all have their particular charms as well.

Posted by
1358 posts

Based on what you say, I would not stay in Vernazza. Look for cheaper housing in one of the other 5 villages. If you are going to hike the entire trail you will see them all.

I found one day on the trail was enough because it is pretty much the same mile after mile. Riding the train to other villages gave me more time to explore them.

Going between villages takes about 5 minutes on the train; so you can visit all of them easily regardless of which one you stay in.

Take lots of film (or memory cards).

Posted by
43 posts

You will not get bad photos anywhere in CT. It only takes a few minutes by train to get to the different towns, stay where you want, and you can easily get photos from every village. I agree Vernazza is the most picturesque, but our favorite place to stay is Corniglia.