Please sign in to post.

staying in bellagio april 2025 info with train to switzerland for the day

Hi everyone, i am staying in bellagio next april for 5 days, want to take ferry to varenna train and go to switzerland for just a day leave early come back late, I know about bernina express to tirano and st mortiz, but what about heading to grindelwald or other areas, strictly only looking for a fondue lunch, buy chocolate and see gorgeous views different then lake como area. Is it worth it. thx MH

Posted by
17168 posts

Grindelwald is not an option for a daytrip. With a marooning departure from Varenna-Elsinore it takes at least 8 hours to get there.

Pontresina is an alpine village right on the Bernina route, with great views, and they should have fondue someplace. Chocolate is a “given” anyplace in Switzerland.

That would be 3-3.5 hours from Varenna each way. Whether it is worth it is totally up to you.

Posted by
1839 posts

I would honestly say it is not worth it to go as far as Grindelwald. The travel time is just too extensive. I know there are forum members who have spent a lot of time in southern Switzerland who will have good suggestions. You may want to post this in the Switzerland section instead of the Italy section.