Please sign in to post.

St Peter's Basilica

My question is if I purchase the skip the line for the Vatican will it also let me skip the line for St Peter's Basilica. Also in the Basilica can you take the elevator up to the stop and then take it back down with out going up the 300 steps? If so do I need to purchase a tour ticket?

Posted by
15852 posts

If I purchase the skip the line for the Vatican will it also let me
skip the line for St Peter's Basilica

No. To skip the line for the church you need to either purchase a tour of just the church, or a museum/basilica combo tour which enters it directly from a stairwell in the Sistine. You can reserve the 3-hour combo tour on the Vatican's website:
https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?do

Also in the Basilica can you take the elevator up to the stop and then
take it back down with out going up the 300 steps? If so do I need to
purchase a tour ticket?

Ticket prices to access the dome are below; these are not tours, and you purchase your tickets inside the basilica:

http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_pietro/it/cupola/orari.htm

Two ways to reach the cupola (dome):
• Lift (elevator) up to the terrace level at the base of the dome and then continue the rest of the way on foot (320 steps): ticket € 8.00. There is no way around these last 320 steps if you want to go clear to the top.

• Walk all 551 steps: ticket € 6.00

Posted by
4152 posts

The basilica and the museums are two different areas of the Vatican. The only way to bypass the lines into the basilica is to purchase a tour of the museums. Be aware that once you leave the museums you cannot reenter them so be sure any tour you may take covers the rooms you wish to see or you'll need to pay again to see them.

The line for the basilica may get long but it doesn't take as long as you might think. I've never waited more than about 20 minutes to get through security for the basilica and that was on very busy days.

Donna

Posted by
11613 posts

The views from the roof may be sufficient for you, without climbing inside the dome. The last section of stairs is a bit claustrophobic for some..

Posted by
15601 posts

I climbed the dome a couple years ago in February. When I got to St Peter's around 10.30 am, there was a short line for security and no line for the tower. When I got back down to street level around noon, there was a long line to go up to the dome. I suspect there is a limit to how many people are allowed to be up at a time and once they reach capacity, the lines (and the wait) can get pretty long.