Please sign in to post.

SR222 from Siena to Florence

We would like to take SR222 from Siena to Florence in April. I understand the road has curves and am wondering if it might lead to carsickness for the back seat passengers. Any insights?

Posted by
15144 posts

It does to my sister-in-law every time I drive it, but everybody has different levels of sensitivity to motion sickness, so nobody can predict what it will do to your passengers.

Assuming you live in areas of your country where there are curvy roads, test those roads with your passengers. If you lived in California I could suggest some even worse than the SR222. If you live in the flat plains of the Midwest, or Florida, or similar places, I don’t know what to tell you. Take a chance. The worst it can happen is having to stop a few times to let your passengers vomit a bit alongside the road.

Posted by
6 posts

Yes, I suppose it is not a problem for me. Maybe, I will see how they do on our other day trip from Siena and decide our route afterwards.

Posted by
1526 posts

Well, about twenty years ago I went from Florence to Cavriglia and when I had to go back I told myself to drive to Radda and then try SR 222. I was on my late mother's Renault 5, a tiny car without power steering. To tell it short, I did not get carsick but my arms were aching by the time I got to Florence.

All roads in rural Tuscany but motorways and A1/A11 highways follow ancient itineraries bordering properties, following water streams, climbing hills and descending on the other side, so are very slow to drive and endlessy curvy. If your passengers are prone to carsickness, even a short itinerary like Florence to Impruneta may induce it (it happened to my niece). Personally, I always drive Florence to Siena on the motorway that is curvy enough.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the input. I think we will take the train to Florence and hope to get to Chianti another time with less people in the car.