Please sign in to post.

Speeding ticket Ortisei, Italy

Hi, on the way to our destination in Val Gardena we were flashed by a speeding camera. It was in or near Ortisei - there are multiple camera's placed on the main road that runs through the valley. Does anyone know the fine for speeding? Can we pay online? Think we drove around 70 km/h were 50 or 60 km/h was allowed ..

Posted by
7895 posts

Don't know the fine, I guess it will end up in a fine, 20 km/h over is pretty bad, if it was less than 10 maybe not so much. I suppose there is a remote possibility you will not see a ticket.

I assume this was in a rental and you are from the US, if so, your rental car company will notify you, tell you a ticket will be coming, and charge you 40 or 50 euro to pass your information on.

Then sometime, a month, maybe as long as a year, a notice of violation will show up. That will have some way to pay the ticket online, probably no easy credit card payment system, but likely a bank transfer to an account of a third party violation processor.

Posted by
4139 posts

When we got our tickets for going 2K over the limit driving to Venice, (there were 2 cameras near each other, no flash noticed on our part) our rental car company let us know about it 9 months later. I still have all the emails just in case. Anyway, Carwiz attached the tickets to the e-mail stating they gave our address to the police and we would have copies mailed to us. Luckily my husband reads Italian and paid them immediately. We did send confirmation to CarWiz.
If the rental car company lets you know, ask them to attach a Copy of the ticket. It’s easy to translate emails now. We paid with our Credit car, no problem.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for your replies. We had a similar issue some time back in Spain when the car rental agency charged us a handling fee for forwarding us a Spanish speeding fine.

Also, it took us quite some effort to get the ticket paid. We used Google translate but could not find an IBAN and on it. The ticket seemed to be suitable for domestic payers, not for us .. In the end I called a phone number that was mentioned on the speeding ticket and I managed to get an English speaking lady on the line who gave me the IBAN. As mentioned, quite a struggle, but hey, it was my speeding violation after all :)

I hope my Italy speeding < 10 km. From these I read the fines will be okay : https://travelinformation.eu/italy-traffic-fines/ or https://www.adac.de/verkehr/recht/bussgeld-punkte/ausland/bussgeld-italien/ (around EUR 40). Fingers crossed and smarter driving next time.

Posted by
2180 posts

I hope my Italy speeding < 10 km.

I hope so too and if you are fined, it won't be too much.

For others who may see this post, be aware that European countries usually have a zero tolerance for speeding, unlike how it is in the US. I always assume a zero tolerance policy when in Europe. I saw lots of locals speeding, especially in Italy, but I figured they knew when and where, information I didn't have. I've never gotten a ticket, either for speeding or for a ZTL infraction. The roads are well marked and it's easy to stay on the right side of the law, if you so choose.

Posted by
15832 posts

The autovelox machines give a tolerance of 5 km/h or, for speed limits over 100km/h, 5%. Therefore if in that road the limit was 50km/h or 60km/h the autovelox machines takes the photo at 5km above the speed limit. If in the autostrada, where the limit is 130km/h, then the photo is taken at 130+5%=137.5km/h.
The Fine amount schedule is below
Limit exceeded by:
Below 10 km/h = Euro 42 to Euro 173
10<>40 km/h= Euro 173 to Euro 695
40<>60 km/h=Euro 544 to Euro 2,174
Over 60 km/h=Euro 847 to Euro 3,389
Fines are increased by 1/3 if recorded at night (between 22:00 and 7:00)
There is a 30% discount for payment within 5 days from notification (unless the speed limit is exceeded by over 40 km/h, in which case no discounts apply).

Posted by
33452 posts

Roberto da Firenze ⚜, why is there such a great gap between the upper and lower fines in each speed bracket? How is that applied?