Please sign in to post.

Special Roundtrip Direct Trains from Rome to Pompeii Ruins to Run on Sundays Through 2024

Trenitalia has extended through all of 2024 its Sunday high-speed Frecciarosa train that travels directly from Rome Termini station to Pompeii Archaeological Park.

The FR 9693 departs Rome Termini train station every Sunday at 8:53am arriving at Pompei train station 1 hour 47 minutes later at 10:40am. A 10-minute shuttle bus then transfers passengers to the park’s entrance at Pompeii Scavi Archaeologici. Eventually, the trains will travel directly to the new train station under construction at the entrance to the Pompeii Archaeological Park. More daily trains will also be added to the route.
Passengers on the FR 9693 train can buy their admission tickets to the Pompeii archaeological site right on board the train. A movie shown during the train journey previews what passengers are about to see during their visit to the Pompeii ruins.
The return train, the FR 9568 , takes 2 hours 15 minutes for the return trip to Rome, departing from the modern city of Pompei’s train station at 18:40 (6:40pm) and returning to Rome Termini at 20:55 (8:55pm). The shuttle bus will collect passengers from Pompeii’s Scavi entrance and return them to the Pompei train station for the return train trip.
When bought one to two months in advance, tickets on the Trenitalia FR 9683 and FR 9568 can be bought for as little as $28 each way or $56 roundtrip.
Tickets can be bought through Trenitalia’s website and on The Trainline’s website.

Posted by
4136 posts

That's a long day. I wonder how many people will want to buy the return trip. Personally, there is enough to fill a full day, but I'm consistently surprised on this Forum and other social media sites about people trying to squeeze in a rushed tour on the way to/from Sorrento. Add to that, Pompeii doesn't have in/out privileges and food and water options in the park are extremely limited. I hope the park is making changes to accommodate these all-day trippers.

Posted by
1439 posts

Actually, water is now available from drinking fountains throughout the archaeological site, and there also is a cafeteria called “Chora” inside the park behind the Temple of Jupiter. For those whose limit is three or four hours on their feet at Pompeii, visitors can always buy a ticket on the FR 9693 that gets you from Rome to Pompeii by 11 am and take any of the afternoon trains returning to Rome.
Some of the returning trains depart from the “Torre Annunziata Centrale” train station, which is a little over one mile from the Pompeii Scavi entrance to the ruins. Other trains depart from the modern city of Pompei’s train station, also about one mile from the Pompeii Scavi entrance to the ruins. Both Trenitalia and Italo have trains throughout the day with some taking just 2:20-2:30 including bus/train transfers to return to Rome.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi! I have been looking into this option for our upcoming trip in July and I have some questions.
1) I used the Trenitalia chat this morning to ask about purchasing this ticket for July 21 (I can not find it) and the agent said there is no direct train from Rome to Pompei. Where can I purchase these tickets??
2) Which Pompei park entrance does the shuttle take you to?
3) Is the shuttle included in the purchase of this ticket? If it is not, where do you purchase that ticket and how much is it?

It doesn't look like this train is running in July. I had been waiting for tickets to become available for the past two months as it just said 'not available for purchase'. Having looked again now, the 8:53 goes to Naples Afragola, and then you have to change to a ArrowLink LK133 bus. However, you still can't purchase tickets on Trainline, and sometimes it says it's unavailable on Trenitalia! Other dates show that it arrives at Pompei at 11:20 whereas others its as stated 10:40.

Sunday 14th July is really the only time we can go to Pompeii but it doesn't look like we'll be able to arrive before 12pm as the trains between 7:36am and 8:53am seem to be 4+ hours!

Posted by
723 posts

I'm assuming that the tickets aren't released yet after the June ticket release.....that's why y'all aren't seeing any, I am assuming....