Please sign in to post.

Southern Italy

Hello,
I am traveling in Southern Italy in Jan. I am meeting a friend who will be traveling from Spain.
We thought about flying into Sicily then renting a car and driving from Sicily to Puglia. Our travel time in the area is about two weeks --around Jan 9 to 22.

I am trying to figure out how long to stay in both areas-- Any recommendations for each and the number of days? I have been to Italy before but the south is new ( I traveled as far as Sorrento & Amalfi coast.) We are going to Sicily because we have friends there and to Puglia because I have some vendors there--
Thank you!

Posted by
11198 posts

Rather than the bother of ferrying the car from Sicily to the mainland, I would look at flying to Puglia.

I have not been to either but given the time of year, I would spend all my free time on Sicily and go to Puglia for only as long as needed to take care of business.

Posted by
15115 posts

Puglia is wonderful. You will get different ideas on how much time to spend in each but I would give at least 4-5 days in Puglia......Lecce, Gallipoli, Otranto, Alberobello and Matera (technically not in Puglia but Basillicata.)

But then, Sicily is also amazing with lots to see.

It is an all day drive from Sicily to northern Puglia but the scenery is wonderful.

You could fly out of Bari to connect to your flight home. Polignano al Mare is on the way.

Posted by
27190 posts

Even with a car Sicily is worth more than 2 weeks, so you've got a tough decision to make. Puglia is also interesting, but I think some of the cute little seaside towns/villages may be dead at that time of year. I really have no clue, though, because I've never made a winter trip to Europe.

I'd definitely give Sicily more than half the time unless you think this is going to be your only work trip to Puglia and want to see a great deal of Puglia and postpone Sicily (or a great deal of it) until a later trip.