Please sign in to post.

Southern Italy

I am planning a trip in early September 3 nights Rome, then 3 nights Sorrento, then 8 nights in Puglia. I have rented a home near Ostuni for 6 nights and have two additional nights before we have to be back in Rome for 1 night before our departure back to Connecticut, USA. Can anyone reccommend what to do heading from Ostuni to Rome. We have 2 nights unplanned. We will have a rental car but can return it in Bari to take a train if we choose. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Lorie

Posted by
2176 posts

With a car, my two primary suggestions would be either Matera (an other-worldly destination that many on this site would recommend) or the Gargano peninsula (Vieste or Peschici).

Posted by
133 posts

We just got back from our trip to Italy and spent the last 3 nights in Matera. I would highly recommend a stay there. We booked a tour of the Sassi with a local guide named Nadia Galatti. She was great.

Posted by
755 posts

Just got back from Puglia and would have liked more time in Bari of all places.
Stopped overnight to catch an early flight out of the airport so didn't have much time there, but liked the city quite a bit. The tomb of St.Nicholas was the most beautiful tomb I have ever seen. People in Bari were very nice and very helpful. You also might consider Trani as a stop on your return, or you can head west and stop in Salerno, Naples, or Caserta.