Please sign in to post.

Southern Italy

My wife and I are planning to visit Southern Italy in early June. At the moment we planning on flying into Naples and then immediately going to Sorrento for 4 nights, visiting Capri, Pompeii and all the towns on the Amalfi Coast. Then renting a car to travel to Paestum for one night to see the ruins there. Then we are off to Matera for two nights to explore the caves. After that we will drive to Bari. There we plan on stopping in on Alberobello and a castle to the north. Then lastly back to Naples for two nights to explore the city. We do not mine go off the the beaten trail or travel to explore a different site. We are thinking of taking a cooking class along the way. Lastly we are up for short hikes and/or kayaking a river. This is not set in concrete. Are there must sees we may be missing and other things we should not bother with??? All thoughts are appreciated. By the way we have done most of Northern Italy on a previous trip.

Posted by
11613 posts

Is the castle you refer to Castel del Monte? Beautiful.

In Matera, there is much more than just the caves, or sassi. Some beautiful churches cut into the rock (the Duomo is now open after about 14 years). The evening passeggiata is worth every moment, seeing the sassi lit up. A couple of nice museums, too.

Paestum is fabulous, in my opinion. Note that the very good museum is closed on Monday, the archeological site is open every day.

Sounds like a great trip!

Posted by
15199 posts

There is a lot to see in Puglia, so do some research and concentrate on that region. There is much more than the Trulli of Alberobello.

Flights to NAP are limited, as most are European low cost airlines (among the major airlines, only Alitalia and maybe Lufthansa have multiple choices to their respective hubs). If you find better deals and more convenient flights to Rome, Naples is only 70 minutes away by high speed train and there is a train every half hour or so.

Posted by
4434 posts

You don't say how long you will have for Puglia.
Near Matera, we did a lovely hike along a gorge in Laterza (google Oasi LIPU Gravina di Laterza). Of course in Matera, you can hike through their gorge over to the Parco della Murgia Materana (which you have probably read about in your guide book--it is dotted with cave churches, but also makes for a nice scenic walk). Also in Basilicata is Craco, an abandoned town where we had a fascinating tour.
Of course the hiking on the Amalfi coast is wonderful. Just south of Paestum is Cilento national park.
But I am not sure you will have any extra time--so clarify the Bari bit. Sounds like a great trip!

Posted by
42 posts

Yes, north of Bari is the Castel Del Monte. I also saw a pasta making tour that sounded like a nice break. I can alter my itinerary to be in the Puglia region longer. Any suggestions as to what to see? I will have a car. We were also thinking of stopping in some towns close to Naples that looked interesting. That would be on the return trip to Naples. We like staying in B & B's. Get to meet travelers from all over. As far as flights, I can fly from Tampa to Zurich to Naples on Swiss Air. Travel time 12 hrs. Watching fares, fairly competitive. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted by
46 posts

When you go to Capri, take the beautiful bus ride up to Anacapri and hike to the lighthouse and/or the blue grotto. Very cenic and fun!