Please sign in to post.

Southern Italy

Hello,
Planning a trip to southern Italy. Am looking for a good itinerary. Thinking of flying into Naples, then heading down to Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Sorrento, then heading south and ending up in Sicely.
I could use suggestions on best area to stay in order to see the most by using public transportation. I am not familiar with southern Italy at all and not sure of best airports to use or the best places to see south of Rome.
I have been to Italy a few times but only from Rome north. I have read that southern Italy is very different and am looking for some great recommendations and a nice itinerary for about 8-10 day trip. My daughter in law and I like to do some tourist things but would also enjoy staying at a working farm and experiencing the Italian life style.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Posted by
4375 posts

Eight to ten days would make for a great trip to Naples, the Amalfi coast, and perhaps one of the islands in the bay of Naples. It is not enough time to include Sicily.
Naples airport.

Posted by
27110 posts

Sicily alone cries out for at least 2 weeks, and that's if you are prepared to rent a car. Eighteen days via public transportation wasn't long enough for me, and I didn't go to the Greek sites at Agrigento, Selinunte or Segesta, or to the Aeolian Islands.

I think there's plenty to do around Naples and Amalfi. If you had 12-14 days, I might suggest you consider including Puglia. That's a very interesting area, and you can get a pretty good look at it in less than a week.

I assume this isn't going to be a summer trip. Southern Italy is beastly hot at that time of year.

Posted by
2707 posts

For that amount of time consider Sicily. Check the RS tour for itinerary ideas. Or as a previous poster suggested, the Naples and coastal areas. You can’t see both in that amount of time.

Posted by
1025 posts

I just returned from an epic vacation in Southern Italy, beginning with 4 nights in Naples, 4 nights in Ischia, and then 3 nights in Sorrento, from where I traveled to other places. Naples is definitely amazing, and there are many things to do and see (and eat and drink, as well).

Ischia was a wonderful beach and spa vacation, and Sorrento was the jump off point for Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius. We could have gone to Amalfi, Positano, Salerno, or Capri, but there wasn't time on this trip.

All our traveling was by public transport--train from Rome to Naples, metro and trains within the Naples area, ferries to Ischia and Sorrento, and buses while traveling across Ischia to beaches and spas. Easy and cheap to do.

I agree that Sicily probably would be a trip too far for such a short vacation period. Next time you come, spend a couple weeks on Sicily.

Posted by
3551 posts

As others have said u really only have time for your interests in S Italy. Leave Sicily for another time, and it is fabulous for 2 weeks.
U may find an agriturismo in Paestum just south of amalfi coast. Ck with 4icks guidebks for suggestions.
Try not to cram too much in you will find how beautiful and interesting Sorrento area is. If seas are calm take a ferry ride to follow coastline, beautiful
and memorable.
Fly into to Naples will save u a lot of time. I have done that 2 x small airport close to Naples city.

Posted by
4105 posts

Depending on your interests and # of nights, something like this might work for you.

Arrive Naples (NAP). Take this bus to Sorrento.
https://www.curreriviaggi.it/airport-shuttle/times-download

4 nights Sorrento.

Bus, ferry, Circumvesuvian timetables.
https://www.sorrentoinsider.com

Amalfi Coast villages.
https://travelaway.me/beautiful-places-amalfi-coast/

2-3 nights Ischia.
https://www.ischiareview.com/ischia-island-tours.html

(Or 1 night Capri, 2 nights Ischia.)

2 nights Naples.

Posted by
72 posts

Thank you for all your suggestions. It looks like we will have to make two trips to Italy.

Posted by
27110 posts

Aww, Kristine, what a shame that is!

If you think you're finished after two trips, you'll be a rare tourist indeed.

Posted by
72 posts

Oh no! I’ll never be done after two trips. I will just break my original plan into two separate trips. There is to much to explore for me to ever be done traveling.