Please sign in to post.

Southern Italy

Our trip in April includes 7 days in Southern Italy with a car. Where would be the best place to stay to relax and explore Southern Italy? Places on the Amalfi Coast look beautiful but require a 7 day stay. But will it be to difficult to travel elsewhere from there?

Posted by
9110 posts

You can drive anywhere. Also, what's your idea of "southern Itsly". Amalfi's sort of in the middle: is that your area, or are you interested in the heel and toe area.

Posted by
17 posts

Check out Pompeii, near Naples. It is wonderful if you are interested in history and how the Romans once lived. We have visited it many times (adult children also) and always see something new.

Posted by
1018 posts

If you have a car you can drive anywhere. A suggestion would be to use venere.com to find a hotel or b&b. They will give a complete listing with reviews. Also, maybe you could find a location outside of Amalfi and drive oir to explore. You may also consider Sorrento and then drive down the Amalfi coast.

I usually go to Calabria to visit my family every year and they have some interesting sights. Tropea is a seaside resort, but I do not know if it will be buzzing at that time. The Riacci Warriors are in the state museum in Reggio Calabria and a Norman castle is near Capo Rizzutto.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
1540 posts

I recommend going further south than Naples.
Calabria is great.
Also must see Matera and the Trulli houses in Alberbello.

Posted by
223 posts

Southern Italy is a big place - lots to see! The Amalfi coast can be tough to daytrip from with a car because it will take quite a while to get to the main highway...if you do decide to stay on the coast, I'd go for Salerno or near to it so that you can easily be able to get to all the other sights! I have a home in Campania and have listed some daytrip ideas here: http://southernitaly.wordpress.com/day-trips/ Happy to help with any specifics!