Please sign in to post.

Southern Italy

Hello
We will be coming to Rome on October 1st through the 20th. We land in Rome and depart from Rome.
We have a cruise from Civitavechia from Oct 4th to Oct 11th
We will probably stay close to the port area for our cruise (1 to the 4th) but after October 11th we have 9 days left, I was thinking of staying in the Naples area. What cities would you do with 2 kids ages 16 and 17? We are mostly interested in Salermo, Capri the Amalfi Coast. Is Naples a good reference point?

TY
MB

Posted by
795 posts

Salerno would be easy to get to Capri and the Amalfi Coast (Amalfi, Positano, Ravello), Paestum, and a train to Naples
Naples would easily get you to Capri, Sorrento, and the ruins of Herculaneum and Pompeii
Staying on the Amalfi Coast would get you a LOT of "coast" time, ferries and buses to Capri, the other towns on the coast, Sorrento on the other side of the peninsula, and Capri.....

You do have a lot of time, what particular things does your family like to do? If you narrow that down, it might help you figure out where you might want to stay. You probably have time for 2 bases if you want to spend all 9 nights down there, maybe Naples and a choice between Salerno/Amalfi/Capri?

Posted by
7644 posts

If you stay in Salerno for a couple of nights, take the quick train over to Paestum to see the amazing Greek temples, also.

My adult daughter & I took the train to Salerno for two nights and a ferry over to stay three nights at Amalfi.