Please sign in to post.

South of Rome

Hi. Going to Italy for the fourth time late this year. We are flying into FCO and not having spent time in the south, are heading to Naples. Planning to spend a couple of days there, a couple in Pompei and trying to decide about the rest (total of 8 full days). Are there other interesting places in the region? We are not going to Amalfi Coast. I am considering a couple of days just outside Rome, like Castel Gandolfo/Lago Albano area. Is it worthwhile?

We like architecture, history, hiking and such. NO shopping or wandering about. I like to happen upon things and like walking, but I don't want to go to a town just to wander or eat somewhere or shop.
Thanks!

Posted by
7049 posts
  • Caserta
  • Ischia (island)
  • Capri (island) - while many people shop and wander there, it's a great place for hiking too
  • Mount Vesuvius
  • Paestum archeological site
  • Way south is Reggio Calabria region; way off the tourist track
Posted by
6 posts

Yes, I said we are two days in Naples, two in Pompei. We will do Vesuvius and Ercolano at that time. We will consider the palace at Caserta.
The ferries don't seem to run in December, and I'm not sure it's worth it to us to ferry to an island for one day.

Posted by
15597 posts

Why stay in Pompei? I'd think Naples would be more interesting and then you don't have to change hotels. And it's not much farther to Herculaneum or Vesuvius than from Pompei. It also gives you a little room to juggle your itinerary if there's rain. Caserta is a good day trip from Naples.

Lots of people live on Ischia and Capri so there is regular ferry service all year round - though they are stopped when weather conditions are unsafe. You might consider spending a couple of nights on one of them.

Posted by
6 posts

It just seemed like it would be nice to stay right near Pompei since we plan to spend two days there. But maybe you're right, not booking a place there leaves us flexible in case we decide not to climb Vesuvius or whatever. I think I've decided not to go to the islands. It's cold and they are pretty much shut down at that time of year.

I'm getting the feeling there isn't much in that region outside of the well-known stuff between Naples and Salerno. Maybe we'll redirect to Rome outliers that we haven't seen. Last time we meant to go Tivoli and got distracted by other things that day.