Please sign in to post.

Sorrento vs Positano

Can anyone give their opinion on which to choose? I cannot do both I don't have enough time. I have 3 nights to spend in one of these places in order to get to day trips to pompeii and capri. I was thinking of sorrento when I got a recommendation from a friend on a b & b in Positanto that appears so charming....casa cucaro

Posted by
2114 posts

For ease in getting to Capri and Pompeii, I think you'll generally be more pleased w/ Sorrento. Positano is beautiful, though. We stayed at the wonderful Le Agavi Hotel just outside Positano, where we enjoyed a beautiful room overlooking the sea, and our room had two private patios (one in the sun that had a table/two chairs and a reclining lounge chair) and then a patio in the shade, which was nice for using the computer/receiving photos, etc. at the end of the day. Their pool and dining room also have fabulous views. They offered a complimentary shuttle into Positano. Sorrento seems to offer easier transfers to Capri, etc. But, maybe another poster will correct me if that is not the case. For Capri, I really recommend staying at least one night there, so you are not part of the day herd (which can be quite crowded if you are there during high season or when cruise ships are in port). Once the crowds leave, Capri is extra special. And, be sure to take the chair lift up to Anacapri, where the views are extra special.

Posted by
3601 posts

I haven't been to Sorrento, but we're going tomorrow. We visited Positano a few years ago, when we were staying in Amalfi. To say we were underwhelmed is to put it mildly. For the day trips you want, I think the transportation is much easier from Sorrento.

Posted by
9420 posts

Sorrento is much easier to get to other places than Positano. We enjoyed Positano as a day trip (twice) but we love Sorrento. Our favorite place in Italy.

Posted by
2876 posts

It's easy to get to Capri from either place, but if you want to go to Pompeii too, definitely choose Sorrento. There is a rail connection - the Circumvesuviana - that will take you from Sorrento to Pompeii. Positano has no rail service.

Posted by
53 posts

I've been to both and I would recommend Sorrento. I feel there is more to do and see in Sorrento and its easier to just stroll around comfortably. Have fun!

Posted by
32213 posts

Deanna, If you plan on taking many day trips in that area, Sorrento is a better location as it provides good transportation options. From there it's easy to get to Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum or even to Naples for day trips. If staying in Positano, it's easy to get to Capri, Ravello and Amalfi, but not as easy to Pompeii or other locations in that area. Which one to choose will depend on your plans in that area. Happy travels!