Please sign in to post.

Sorrento to Positano

Hi, is anyone quite familiar with the specifics of getting from Sorrento to Positano (and back) for a day trip? I'm wondering about where to purchase a ticket, cost, ride time, etc. Traveling alone and a bit nervous... Thanks much!

Posted by
1829 posts

We usually buy our bus tickets at any Tabacchi on our way to the station. There is also a Tabacchi at the station (foot of the stairs leading up to the train platforms) but this can get busy. If its the same old couple serving don't take the off hand service personally, they have been like that for years!

A site describing the tickets and their validity. Don't forget to punch the tickets when you board the bus, the machine is usually by the driver's seat, fines are heavy.

http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en&center=inside&colonna=turisti&action=costiera&banner=costiera

The Positan/Amalfi buses leave from the stop at the left hand corner at the top of the short road leading to the station. Just look for the long lines!

Posted by
536 posts

Dave - Steve has got it exactly right - The Sita bus from Sorrento to Positano is a short - fun ride. Be sure to sit on the right side!!
And coming back - Definitely take a boat - also a fun experience.
In Sorrento be sure to explore the Old Town section - very nie and you might want to visit Villa Massa - The largest producer of Limoncello in the world, with over 16,000 lemon trees.

Ciao, Greg

Posted by
2876 posts

No doubt the bus and boat are the way to go, but we did it by taxi and the taxi driver was such a character it wound up being one of the highlights of our trip. It's only about a half hour drive between the two towns. So you'll have plenty of options. And the drive is spectacular.
Also, no need to be nervous, you'll have a great time. They're very used to American tourists in those areas, and almost everyone speaks some English.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks all, quite nice of you. I keep hearing that the drive itself is wonderful, so I want to make sure I get it right without stressing out too much about getting lost or ripped off. Much appreciated!
Dave

Posted by
689 posts

Dave, We had a car so we drove it one day, all the way to Pastum and back. Then we did the ferry another day which allowed us the chance to explore the towns. We went to Positano and Amalfi Town. I'd agree your best bet is to bus over and ferry back.

You might want to check into where best to get your ferry tickets. You might want to do that before you leave Sorrento.