Please sign in to post.

Sorrento to Pompeii

We are headed to Italy next week and will be in Sorrento on Friday the 29th. We have a tour in Pompeii that afternoon and are having trouble figuring out which train will get us there. What is our best option? We're staying at the Grand Hotel Aminta. Thanks so much!

Posted by
7541 posts

As I remember only the Circumvesuviana station in Naples has staffed ticket windows. In Sorrento, you buy train tickets at the news vendor near the stairs to the Circumvesuviana station. The same type of ticket gets you back, so buy two. Validate it in the machine provided near where you board the train. Make sure your tour booking says that you are meeting at the Porta Marina entrance, which is 200' from the Pompeii Scavi-Villa dei Misteri station of the Circumvesuviana.

Note that this train is roughly half-hourly, and is not particularly reliable. I'd arrive at least 1/2 hour before my tour. The train tends to be hot and crowded. Bring sun protection and have or buy water.

Posted by
6621 posts

It may depend on time of year but we bought tix from a staffed office at train station in May 2019

Bought them day before we needed since we were walking past the station

Posted by
4278 posts

The ticket office at the train station was staffed in April this year when we were there.

Posted by
7541 posts

Thank you for updating my 10-year old info. The Herculaneum and Torre Annunziata (Oplontis) stops were also like ghost town buildings then.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all!
Our tour leaves from the Hotel Vittoria in Pompeii. Do you know how far that is from the train station?

Posted by
10335 posts

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Campania Express train? We took the slow, late-arriving Circumvensuvius to Pompéi but the quick Campania Express back to Sorrento.

Posted by
16061 posts

Our tour leaves from the Hotel Vittoria in Pompeii. Do you know how
far that is from the train station?

This article is a few years old but the walking directions from the Pompei Villa dei Misteri Circumvesuviana station to Hotel Vittoria won't have changed.

http://www.thriftygypsytravels.com/2014/08/a-room-with-view.html (Scroll down to "Directions"):

"From the Pompei Scavi - Villa dei Misteri train station on the Circumvesuviano line, take a right down the station's steps. You'll pass the main entrance to the Pompeii ruins on your left (surrounded by a tall wall). At the bottom of the hill, take the first street on your left. The street opens out into a small piazza with the hotel in front of you and slightly to the right. There are outside tables and seats near the front door of the hotel. Total time from station to hotel is 6-7 minutes."

According to the hotel's location on google maps, it's not a long or complicated walk at ALL; just familiarize yourself with the location before you go. Oh, and I'm guessing your tour will enter through Porta Marina Inferiore, which is right there by the hotel, versus the main Porta Marina entrance you will have passed along the way. The side of the road (Via Villa dei Misteri) between train station and piazza where the hotel sits may be single-file narrow.

Posted by
27400 posts

If for some reason you need to buy train tickets from a newsstand, etc., you'll probably have to pay cash.