Please sign in to post.

Sorrento to Naples

Staying in Sorrento and want to spend the day in Naples. Should we go by boat or train? Suggestions for Naples sights? Want to go to the museum and have pizza, of course!

Posted by
11364 posts

R.S. Italy guidebook has an excellent day plan for Naples. You can easily take the Circumvesuviana from Sorrento. The Archeological Museum opens at 10:00, so time your trip to arrive at opening. (I think we took the CircumV about 08:30 from Sorrento to make that timing work.) By the endof R.S self-guided walk you will have a good overview of Naples and be exhausted. :-)

Posted by
67 posts

Would you suggest we make a day of Naples or see Naples on our way to the hotel near the Rome airport? Someone suggested staying in the town of Fuimicino the night before our flight to the US. Would we be able to leave our luggage at the Naples train station and is the train station near the city center for the RS walking tour? We have time for a day in Naples but thought it might
be an idea to see it on our way to the Rome airport if it wouldn't be too much of a day! Thanks for your ideas!!

Posted by
11364 posts

Having read your post about your plans to travel to Fiumicino to stay the night before you fly, I don't think I'd add the stress of a Naples stop to that plan. I have not checked luggage there, although I suspect you can. Others can probably advise. Naples is intense, and you already have a pretty intense travel day Sorrento to Fiumicino.That said, if you start early and your energy and interest supports your desire to see some of Naples, go for it!

Posted by
67 posts

Sounds like we should see Naples on a day trip from Sorrento. Have you been to Fiumicino? If we get a hotel there the night before our early AM flight from Rome, we can spend some time there. I hear it is a cute town. Thanks for your thoughts!