Please sign in to post.

Sorrento or Salerno?

I'm trying to plan a trip to the Amalfi Coast late August/early September (I want guaranteed hot/good weather, is September too late to go?) and can't decide whether to go to Sorrento or Salerno - and how to get to both places without driving from Naples airport? Which place is nicest as a base for 8 nights? Thanks!

Posted by
4253 posts

We spent 2 weeks in Sorrento in April 2023 and it was perfect for us. We never made it to Salerno so I can't comment on that. What are your priorities for the trip? If Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Archeological Museum in Naples are a must then Sorrento may make more sense. If it's rest and relaxation along the Amalfi Coast then I'm not sure it matters. Sorrento met our needs every evening with a ton of restaurant choices. We also enjoyed the vibe of the area for wandering around every evening.

As for getting to both, if you make your way to the Centrale train station from the airport you can get to either one. I'm also pretty sure I've read on this Forum that there is a direct bus from the airport to Sorrento. A car may be a hindrance to you. Traffic and parking is crazy along the Amalfi Coast.

Posted by
257 posts

I’ve just been to Sorrento on a day trip many years ago so can’t really advise about that, but my wife and I liked Salerno a lot. It’s more of a regular Italian city than one where tourism is the only significant business. Eight days either place is a lot. Sorrento is a bit more convenient for Pompeii and Herculaneum, but our day trip from Salerno to Herculaneum (via Naples) was fine. Naples is equally accessible from either. Salerno is better for a day trip to the Greek temples at Paestum, which I highly recommend. Maybe split your time between them?

Posted by
16007 posts

...and how to get to both places without driving from Naples airport?

I see from a previous thread that you've been wisely dissuaded from driving the coast during high season. :O) I also see that information about the direct, cost-effective Curreri bus service from Naples airport to Sorrento was provided. IMHO, that would be my personal choice for accessing that location. Are you flying out of Naples as well?

I've been to the region in late Sept. and it was plenty warm but perfect weather is never guaranteed! Mother Nature is a fickle lady, ya know? I don't think anyone can promise that rain won't be at least a possibility.

We enjoyed Sorrento very much but while the Sorrentine Peninsula is a gateway to the AC, it's not considered part of the coast. We have quite a number of Salerno fans on the forum too. But what are you planning to do for fun during your stay? That may influence the decision. As well, with a week to spend would you consider splitting your week between both to place yourself in closer proximity to some attractions or activities that would be further from another? Say, start in Sorrento and day trip to Capri/Herculaneum/Pompeii/etc. and then move to Salerno for Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, maybe beach time in Salerno itself, etc. Again, it sort of depends on what you're thinking you'd like to do during your time in the region?

Posted by
6542 posts

I agree with Kathy’s suggestion of splitting your stay between the 2 towns. That will eliminate a lot of travel along the coast
To Sorrento first using the bus I provided info about in your other thread.
Visit Pompeii, Capri from Sorrento

Then Salerno and consider taking ferry all the way around the AC to get there, the views are fantastic
Visit Amalfi, Positano. Ravello by ferry/bus and visit Paestum by train

If you are flying out of Naples you should be in Naples night before that departure flight. You can stay in Naples as it’s a quick taxi to the airport

To get to Naples from Salerno-direct fast or regional train to Napoli Centrale

Your previous post
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/sorrento-car-hire-and-driving-from-naples

Posted by
7512 posts

I personally would not choose 8 nights on/beside the AC. It's just too hard to get around, and not enough to see close by any hotel. And the summer heat makes the concept of an open window on the Gulf more of an illusion! As others have noted, it is the list of daytrips and attractions you have for yourself that determines where to stay. We had to cross Paestum off our list because it was too far from our five nights in Sorrento.

While it is perfectly true that Positano is a very scenic place, it is not true there are no "views" from anywhere like Capri. We could see Vesuvius over the foot of our bed, when we actuated the electric windowshades in our balcony room at the Ambasciatori Grande - on the cliff in Sorrento. I might add that one reason we splurged on that room was that we booked less than six months ahead, and had to take our sixth choice of hotel.

It is perfectly true that Salerno is a real city, with real residents, and a less touristy Passeggiata than Sorrento (where they have to close some streets every night to accomodate the crowd.) But Sorrento has superb public transportation (oh wait, this is ... Southern Italy ... that term does not compute!) for daytrips. This is an exaggeration, but is it more important to sleep in a real place, or to save at least a hour of transportation (each way) when you go on a daytrip? Sorrento is a purpose-built, postwar resort town, mostly reinforced concrete. (That's a description, not a "slam".) It has only one public beach, situated between two marinas with diesel odor. But we found it the right place for OUR five nights.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/sorrento-as-base