Please sign in to post.

Sorrento or Salerno?

My wife and I are taking a train from Bologna to the Amalfi Coast region and are debating where our base should be. This will be in early May, 2019. We plan to take a morning train so we will have 3 1/2 days and 4 nights there. I have been to Sorrento and Pompeii but my wife has not - we would like to see Pompeii. We are also considering a day trip to Capri as well as a side trip to Paestum. I know Sorrento is closer to Capri but Salerno is closer to Paestum. We would also like to see Positano and Amalfi. After the 4 nights in Sorrento or Salerno, we will be taking the train to Rome. I would appreciate any insights you may have to help us make the decision. TIA!

Posted by
1944 posts

Gah, Stephen! This is a tough call...

First off, getting there from Bologna. Easier to go to Salerno. To Sorrento you'll have to disembark the train at Napoli Centrale and take the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento. And if you're staying down by the marina, you'll have to take a bus or taxi from there.

To Pompei--easier to stay in Sorrento, no question. A simple CV ride instead of a Freccia ride from Salerno, and then you have to walk a half-mile to the southern entrance to the ruins. We did it, it's not that bad. But still...

To Capri--again Sorrento wins. Pain in the butt from Salerno, unless you take the ferry, still not great.

To Paestum--no-brainer, 35 minutes by train from Salerno. Almost a full day from Sorrento & back.

To Amalfi, Positano--ferry from Salerno wins. SITA bus too is fine, although in May it'll be crowded, and then you'll have to change at Amalfi-town to go to Positano. From Sorrento the SITA bus is opposite, to Positano then to Amalfi. Ferry is best to wherever.

Food--I think Sorrento wins out by a nose. Still great food in Salerno, however. Yum in both places!

The towns themselves--Sorrento is fine--great shopping, but Salerno is more the 'real Italy', only somewhat spoiled by tourism. The old town is fascinating, with an 11th century cathedral. Your pick.

Back To Rome--from Salerno no doubt is easier. Take the Freccia train direct to Rome through Naples, shouldn't have to change.

Enjoy your planning!

Posted by
678 posts

I am a HUGE fan of Salerno (and I try to not suggest it when its not perfect for a traveler), but I actually think that it would probably suit you best instead of Sorrento.

Pompeii can be easily reached by a regionale train from Salerno, Capri has ferries from Salerno as do Amalfi and Positano, and Paestum is MUCH easier to get to from Salerno versus Sorrento. Trains from Rome are very frequent from Salerno as well.

It is a great large town (I think 125,000 or so?) with a BEAUTIFUL seawalk/boardwalkish type thing that is over a mile called the Lungomare, a really interesting historic center (with a neat cathedral), and a wonderful pedestrian only shopping street, the Corso.

There are many lodging options in Salerno, apartments, B&Bs, and hotels, and most likely they are more economical than Sorrento. It is a real town, with not much tourism (I have seen more tourism/English speaking services recently with more English speaking visitors and such).

I will put a shameless plug for a B&B that I have experienced and have sent friends to, Seaview Salerno B&B, the owners Peggy and Alessandro are wonderful and speak wonderful English (Peggy is from Africa and met Alessandro while he was doing a Doctors without Borders trip I believe) and are very helpful if you need any assistance.

http://www.seaviewsalerno.it/en

It is in the Centro Storico (historic center), so about a 20 min walk from the train station, but there are closer options to the train station at the head of the Corso like the Hotel Plaza (I have stayed there as well).....basic, near the road in front of the station, but VERY accessible to transport if you want to use Salerno for a main base for trips.

https://www.plazasalerno.com/en/

But there are many others....

I actually booked my Seaview stay for next April/May, so I will be in town just before you!

Jay, I am so sad you think Sorrento wins on food! I was not impressed the one time I went to Sorrento, but I have MANY favorite restaurants in Salerno.....I mean, my frequency to town might make me biased, I have never thought Sorrento was very interesting.

Also, you can take a regionale train to Pompeii from Salerno, as well as Herculaneum. There might be a taxi involved for Herculaneum and Pompeii if you don't want to walk (its like a mile for both from the train stations).

Posted by
1944 posts

Six of one, Katherine, half-dozen of another...I dig restaurants in the whole area. You almost can't go wrong.

OK, since both of us have been in both, if I were going again, where would I stay? Probably Salerno. I like the vibe, that sweet late-afternoon passeggieta along the promenade, and it's not as manufactured as Sorrento.

Posted by
4378 posts

I have been to Salerno but not Sorrento. Pompeii from Salerno is infinitely easier than Paestum is from Sorrento. That is really the only thing that stands out, apart from whether you would prefer a resort area or a city.

Posted by
678 posts

HAHAH yes, I love most of the food in the south! When I went to Venice, I couldn't find ANYTHING I wanted to eat (I like what I like!) so I took a stand and went to the Rossopomodoro (the Naples chain restaurant) in Venice because I knew I would like it instead of being frustrated with Venetian food hahahaha

Posted by
2498 posts

I have been to sorrento but not Salerno. Lots of people love sorrento. I did not. It felt like a disneyesque version of Italy. I felt at times I was at Epcot center. So part of the decision is what you like.

Posted by
1292 posts

For reasons given already, I'd pick Salerno. Personally, I thought both cities are a little bland and wouldn't win any prizes for visiting beyond being good as bases to visit elsewhere. Salerno is, perhaps, a bit more pleasantly gritty with more sights and less tourist-central than Sorrento. But either are fine if you're not expecting to be "wowed" in the way you would be with Naples.

Posted by
353 posts

I had already decided on Salerno for my next trip to Italy in May, so nice to hear some confirming thoughts on Salerno. I also liked the ferry connections from Salerno. And a train to Paestum is also a short trip away from Salerno.
Planning to take a ferry to Amalfi instead of a bus, my Bnb in Agerola will pick me up at the bus stop. Also Agerola is quite close to several hikes including the path of the gods.