Please sign in to post.

Sorrento or Positano?

We're planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast in late May and trying to decide whether to stay in Sorrento or Positano. We'll stay about 6 nights and are looking for a good home base. We'll want to visit both towns, along with Amalfi, Ravello, Pompeii, Paestum and maybe Capri. We don't like to change hotels very often but I also don't want to spend too many hours on the bus every day. Should we reconsider our plan to stay in just one place? If not, which place would be best? Any advice appreciated.... we haven't been to this area before. Thanks.

Posted by
2876 posts

I'd vote for splitting your time between the two - just for the fun of exploring & getting to know both places. Pompeii is more easily visited from Sorrento - there's a train. Amalfi & Ravello are more easily visited from Positano. Just a short boat ride (plus, in the case of Ravello, a short bus ride). For Capri and Paestum it's probably a tossup. The whole area is terrific and you really can't go wrong no matter what you decide.

Posted by
32214 posts

Betsy, That's a difficult choice, as both cities are awesome and have their own character. I tend to agree with the previous reply and perhaps split your time between the two. Which to choose might depend on what other locations you want to visit in that area (Capri, Pompeii, etc.). Happy travels!

Posted by
527 posts

I too would split them up. Italian towns are so lovely in the evenings and you'll be able to experience them both. I love to take the ferries and looking up at the cliffs and the towns clinging to them and then out across the Mediterrean. Pure magic.

Posted by
49 posts

Hi Betsy, I also agree with the above posters - slit up the time. I did just that last summer - 3 nights in Positano and 3 nights in Sorrento. The transportation connections can be a bit frustrating in Positano - buses and boats (and not always on schedule). It would make for more pleasant day trips. The ferry ride from Positano to Amalfi and then the bus ride from Amalfi up to Ravello are both quit spectacular. Hope you have a great visit!

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for your responses. I'm now looking for a place in Positano... preferably clean but affordable and without too much stair climbing (I know there's some of that but we don't need more than is essential!)

Posted by
527 posts

We stayed at Villa La Tartana. It's nice as you don't have to feel like a mountain goat to access it.

Posted by
2369 posts

We also stayed at this place, villa la tartana and loved it very clean, helpful staff, we were on lower level, one flight of stairs. It is right in middle of town, you can see pictures of it by searching B&B's in Positano on the web. Enjoy

Posted by
3551 posts

I stay in Sorrento and venture out on day trips from there. All easily done by bus or ferry. Also a trip to Capri for the day is very worthwhile. Sorrento is a fabulous base for strolling, views, shopping, xllent restaurants and lodging obviuosly I am a big fan. Paestum may be a little far or a very long rd trip day. Naples is doable also by ferry if you wish to see museum. train for Pompeii works well
Buon Viaggio, I could travel to Amalfi coast every yr and never tire of its beauty!