Please sign in to post.

Sorrento or Positano

Hello All,

My wife and I are in our late 30s and will be visiting Italy for the first time in October of this year. We are traveling for a couple weeks and hitting as many cities as possible. Our itinerary so far is to go from Naples to Positano. We are really not concerned about logistics since we have transportation set from Naples. My real Question is whether we go to Sorrento or Positano. We have set aside 3 days out of our trip to visit either one. We like the views/beaches/restaurants in Positano but I have had many people tell me we can do the same in Sorrento minus the beaches. Im not sure if the beaches in Positano will be open or warm enough to visit 10/7-10/9. Here lies our dilemma. I appreciate any input.

Thank you

Posted by
6964 posts

Welcome!

There aren’t really “beaches” in either location
Positano beach is tiny and pebbles-not sand
Sorrento beach is mostly floating decks down below hotels

Where are you going after this stop?
Getting from Positano to almost anywhere is going to require some effort-hopefully ferries are running but if not it’s bus or driver

What else did you want to see/do?
Pompeii is easier from Sorrento for example

Posted by
3 posts

Hi,

Yes, I have read that and have looked at a ton of pics of the "beaches" in Positano. We are going to Capri for 2 days after Sorrento or Positano and then Florence. We just can't decide which one. I will figure out logistics once we have picked either place to be honest.

We are stopping in Pompeii on the way from Naples to either Sorrento or Positano.

Posted by
2034 posts

Been to both in early March. That time of year, Positano is deserted, so beautiful without the crowds. In October, it will be anywhere between crowded and gridlock. Yes, in and around there--Ravello, Maiori, Minori, Amalfi-town included--are some of the prettiest vistas you will ever encounter.

But...I would stay in Sorrento. Breadth of cuisine I think is better, and while crowded, you shouldn't feel suffocated there. Great town to walk, shop, eat. And...you can always get over to the other side--Positano et al--by taking the SITA bus. From Sorrento, easy to get to Naples or Pompeii via the 'fun' Circumvesuviana.

Posted by
6964 posts

You’ll have more ferry options to Capri from Sorrento than from Positano
If the weather is bad ferries won’t run from Positano so if you have reservations on Capri that should be something to consider

I might go from Naples to Capri then to Sorrento
That will shorten each journey
( Capri to Florence is a long haul)

We enjoyed Sorrento very much-stayed 4 nights
We spent a few short hours in Positano, that was enough
YMMV

Posted by
3 posts

Jay,

Have you been to Positano in October or just march? I have read that October is a great time to go due to it still being warmer and also less crowded but what do I know. I appreciate your input.

Christine,

I agree, that seems more logistically convenient. Thank you

Posted by
1010 posts

It depends a bit on what you’re looking for. If you have any interest in seeing Pompeii within these days, then Sorrento. It’s logistically advantageous. However, if your goal is more to get a taste of the Amalfi Coast (and hopefully a little sun and sea) the Positano 100%. With just three days, you’ll have enough to keep you occupied even if the weather is less than ideal. Though really, I’d expect the first week of October to be pretty good. Taking the bus to Amalfi and Ravello will be an easy. I wouldn’t worry too much about crowds in this case either. When you stay on the coast itself, you’re generally up and active before things fill in with day trippers, and it’ll clear out by 5pm.

Posted by
2034 posts

Jay,

Have you been to Positano in October or just March? I have read that
October is a great time to go due to it still being warmer and also
less crowded but what do I know. I appreciate your input.

JJ--

I've only been there in early March. I'd agree that October would be better than July, from a heat standpoint as well as crowds. But I have to tell you, since we've come out of Covid I'd consider the 'high season' in Italy from April through October. Positano has the potential of being very crowded when you're there, but don't let that stop you.

I'll get to test it myself next April, when we do Florence-->Rome-->Salerno (Amalfi Coast)--Taormina, Sicily...traveling by train north to south. For the A.C., I've got a line on a good driver that can take us to three places I haven't visited yet--Vietri Sul Mare (charming town specializing in sculpture & pottery), Garden Ravello restaurant in Ravello (spectacular views), and Sal De Riso Pasticceria in Minori (top of the line pastries). Would never be able to hit all those places without a driver.

Enjoy your planning!

Posted by
1011 posts

Hi Jay,

My husband and I were in both Sorrento and Positano in late May 2023. We enjoyed staying at both of them for different reasons.

The primary reason we loved Positano was the B&B we stayed in which had the most amazing views and outstanding service. While the town of Positano is charming, it is challenging to navigate. The bus transport was crowded and believe it or not in late May, it rained so hard that we couldn't use the ferry. The other challenge with Positano is that it is hilly. It was 400 meters from our B&B to the beach, going down was easy, but coming back up was a climb. Then when we got to the B&B, it was another 172 steps.

Sorrento had better options for transportation, especially if you plan to go to Capri. There is more to do if it is rainy from tours to shopping to cute little museums. A larger variety of restaurants at more reasonable price points. The views in Sorrento are nice, but they don't rival the views from Positano. That said, they are still lovely.